Logo

1989 Evinrude 70 stalls out at low speed

capecodthid

Runs fine at medium or high speed and starts and idles (out of gear) ok. When I cut speed to approach mooring or try to troll it stalls. If I advance throttle slowly from a start it seems to "choke down" and die so I have to advance throttle quickly. VRO deactivated long ago-has new plugs. Would greatly appreciate any ideas as this is no fun in a no wake zone. capecodthid

Having the engine bogg out when applying throttle (choke down) as you state usually indicates that at least one of the carburetors is fouled somewhat.

The small vertical off center brass tubes inside the larger vertical high speed nozzles are known to become restricted, and also the brass high speed jets that are located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chambers clog simply due to sitting... either of these areas could cause your problem.

Another possible cause... the carburetor throttle cam roller should be approximately 3/8" in diameter. Some of the later model rollers rather than being just a one piece roller have been upgraded to a two piece roller... a smaller diameter black roller covered by a clear sleeve... the sleeve has been know to break away resulting in a roller too small which throws off the throttle timing in relation to the actual engine timing.

Check the size of the roller to make sure it's approximately 3/8" in diameter.

The throttle butterflies should just start to open when the scribe mark on the metal cam is dead center with the 3/8" diameter roller... not before or after.

Having the engine bogg out when applying throttle (choke down) as you state usually indicates that at least one of the carburetors is fouled somewhat.

The small vertical off center brass tubes inside the larger vertical high speed nozzles are known to become restricted, and also the brass high speed jets that are located horizontally in the bottom center portion of the float chambers clog simply due to sitting... either of these areas could cause your problem.

Another possible cause... the carburetor throttle cam roller should be approximately 3/8" in diameter. Some of the later model rollers rather than being just a one piece roller have been upgraded to a two piece roller... a smaller diameter black roller covered by a clear sleeve... the sleeve has been know to break away resulting in a roller too small which throws off the throttle timing in relation to the actual engine timing.

Check the size of the roller to make sure it's approximately 3/8" in diameter.

The throttle butterflies should just start to open when the scribe mark on the metal cam is dead center with the 3/8" diameter roller... not before or after.

Thanks Joe, I think the cam roller may have been replaced when engine was winterized so maybe it's the wrong size or has broken. I will check before screwing with carbs. Capecodthid

Back