Logo

1989 Evinrude 200hp stl bogged down when hitting throttle -fixed

Dwittig33

Hey guys, I just bought a 1989 Stratos 201p bass boat with a 200 hp rude on it. It would start, idle and rev up in neutral fine. But once I throttled up it would bog down and die. After researching online I concluded it was most like a fuel issue, gummed up carbs or clogged line or filter. But upon further inspection of the motor, I could see that the 7 out of 8 bolts holding the flywheel pulley (located just under the flywheel, and holds the stator on) had either been sheared off or vibrated out. When I would go hit the throttle, the stator would bounce around causing me to lose power. So I pulled the flywheel, removed the half moon key out of the shaft. Unbolted the stator and removed the remaining bolt holding the flywheel pulley and luckily was able to remove the sheared bolts easily out of the threaded holes. I retapped the holes, and fortunately the bolts are standard 1/4" course thread that I had on hand... put some thread locker on them and put everything back together and now the motor runs great. I wanted to add this post for the next guy troubleshooting this problem. Fuel issue is more common diagnosis, but the flywheel pulley bolts can be easily inspected with the cover off and may save the next guy some time. Also, if you have any oil leaking out the top of your motor, the flywheel pulley has two large O rings that can be replaced while you have it off.

There is a TSB on this and you use the flange type bolt with a diamond shape stamped into its head. Need to see if crankshft moves up and down excessively as lower bolts may be out also..

I am having sort of the same issue with a 1995 Evinrude Vindicator. It will start easily. idle smooth. then once i put in gear and throttle up with the hot foot it will bog. It doesn't always cut off though. I would have to rev it like two to three times then put in gear and she will take on off. I will start a new thread with my issue but this is something I will look out for.

???-----What is the part # of this ---" flywheel pulley "--- here ?-------Or is it really the upper bearing housing for the crankshaft that was the issue ?-----Agreed , you might want to remove the powerhead to check a similar bearing housing found at the bottom of the engine block.

???-----What is the part # of this ---" flywheel pulley "--- here ?-------Or is it really the upper bearing housing for the crankshaft that was the issue ?-----Agreed , you might want to remove the powerhead to check a similar bearing housing found at the bottom of the engine block.
Power steering pully

yes, I thought it was a strange name for it, but according to the part manual here : https://www.marineengine.com/parts/...e&section=Ignition+System+&+Starter+Motor it is number 12 which would be the upper bearing housing... Maybe the manual is wrong? but anyways, we're talking about the same thing.

Ok, so as I said, i bolted this "flywheel pulley or bearing housing back down" and took it back out and it ran great. I've only had the boat for a week, but best its ran so far. (fortunately, i live on a small lake and i've been able to take it for test runs often as i've been fixing it up). Tho, while i had the flywheel off to bolt the housing back down i noticed some of the magnets had slid together. I posted another thread about this, wondering what the proper spacing should be. I was told you can epoxy them back together with a 3/8 bolt between. Great, so after it had ran great with the loose magnets, i popped the flywheel again and epoxied the magnets back into place. Put everything back together again and now has no power when i hit the throttle similar to when the housing was loose. it will rev up in idle fine, but i can't get on plane and go any faster than 6 or 7 mph. After inspection, i noticed one of the connects (brown wire) between the stator and head was disconnected. thought that was my problem, but did not fix anything. Any ideas? What could i have messed up with the flywheel off the second time? Thanks

Just to follow up, problem was my butterfly valves weren't opening nearly enough, some adjustment of the linkage and i was off flying again. Thanks

Back