Logo

1989 Evinrude 110 TE110TLCEM engine issues (stalls and all throttle boggie)

Bldunn

I've replaced the carbs, replaced the vro fuel pump with a regular fuel pump. Replaced spark plugs. Before all this it was smoking pretty bad when it would run. Always runs okay with dog ears at home. Get to the lake and it doesn't do a thing but give me trouble.

When I replaced the carbs and primed the bulb, gas poured out of the front of the engine, not sure if I just pumped too much or what or if the needle valve is bad on the bottom or both carbs.

Today it ran fine on dog ears even in gear giving it throttle. Get to the lake and the ONLY way it would go, when it wouldn't just die being in gear., is the with the throttle all the way, but ran like it was idling blowing smoke out.

The new fuel pump I'm not sure I hooked up right. Diaphragm is connected to the fuel filter line, I primed it. Saw gas come out of the middle nipple on the fuel pump so hooked the carbs up to that one. The other nipple I connected to a line that looked like it goes to the engine.

Any ideas? New to owning a boat and so far ready to smash this one to bits FYI the first fuel pump I bought but didn't install only had two nipples on it. I'm not sure if I should have used that one or what.

Last edited:
The first thing here is to do a compression test.-----Post your values.----These motors are famous for broken piston rings !-----The correct fuel pump for that engine mounts directly over the PRESSURE pulse port on the intake manifold.---Find it just in front of the starter.-----Remove plug in pulse port.-----Install pump with 2 screws ( 10-24NC ) and a gasket.-----One nipple for fuel in and one nipple for fuel out.

The first thing here is to do a compression test.-----Post your values.----These motors are famous for broken piston rings !-----The correct fuel pump for that engine mounts directly over the PRESSURE pulse port on the intake manifold.---Find it just in front of the starter.-----Remove plug in pulse port.-----Install pump with 2 screws ( 10-24NC ) and a gasket.-----One nipple for fuel in and one nipple for fuel out.

Thanks for your reply. I thought something had to be off since in pump had a gasket and the one I installed that boat shop said I needed did not. I will have to get a compression gauge. But will try the other pump I should have used from the get go.

So, should there have been a pulse limiter in place somewhere with the VRO pump before it was removed? Because I don't see a single one anywhere. And if I am understanding you correctly with the two barb pump, there is no need for a pulse limiter? Just connect the fuel filter line to the diaphragm side and the outlet to the carb line? It's seemed like it's getting too much fuel. It burned 3 gallons just the few times it was started and idled before trying to take it out last weekend. When it does start, it smokes like its on fire then bogs out and dies. I replaced the fuel pump because the primer bulb didn't seem to stay stiff at all. Seemed like it would run like crap til it burned what gas it did have, then reprime the engine and have hell getting it to start. Then it would start, repeat cycle. This is only once I was at the lake though. With dog ears at home you'd think the engine ran perfect.

Last edited:
The pulse limiter is a device that PROTECTS the VRO pump.-----Not needed for the regular pump.-----Sorry I can not see , feel or hear your motor.-----You need to do the simple trouble shooting .----And make sure the fuel pump is plumbed correctly.-----Fuel hose from tank goes to the plastic filter cover on the pump !

The pulse limiter is a device that PROTECTS the VRO pump.-----Not needed for the regular pump.-----Sorry I can not see , feel or hear your motor.-----You need to do the simple trouble shooting .----And make sure the fuel pump is plumbed correctly.-----Fuel hose from tank goes to the plastic filter cover on the pump !

Thanks again for your reply. Just curious, is there suppose to be a mist blowing out of a carb? Or is there a bad needle valve?

These guys can really help you, but you have to do things in order to get the most out of your troubleshooting.

Racer wants compression numbers first because if you have bad compression, it may not be worth any more of your effort. Try to find two compression testers if you can and compare them to each other.
Running good on muffs is really meaningless, as they can run on three or even two cylinders when there is no back pressure on the exhaust.

It does sound as if you will need to rebuild your carbs, as you should not be able to pump fuel out of the carbs with the bulb. While you have them off, be sure that all jets are clear. The high speed jets are in the very bottom. But compression test is the first thing.

You said you replaced the carburetors ???-----Why are you now suspecting those carburetors ?----A bad needle valve ( float valve ) would not be the cause of a " mist " blowing out of a carburetor.---I do not believe there are fuel mixture valves on these carburetors either.-------Reed valves should be checked I say.---Blunt statement----Stop your guessing on this motor.------Plus it is most important to post the compression values on this motor !

You said you replaced the carburetors ???-----Why are you now suspecting those carburetors ?----A bad needle valve ( float valve ) would not be the cause of a " mist " blowing out of a carburetor.---I do not believe there are fuel mixture valves on these carburetors either.-------Reed valves should be checked I say.---Blunt statement----Stop your guessing on this motor.------Plus it is most important to post the compression values on this motor !

Because the carbs aren't new. they're obsolete and i can only get used ones. When I got the carbs I used, they had the floats and needle valves already. I didn't replace them. Saw them move freely with the float and assumed they were okay. Thanks. Don't look to being talked down to. Have a good one.

Sorry----I will step aside .----I can not see , hear or feel your motor.----I have no idea what your expertise is.----Nor do I know what tools are in your workshop.

Back