Logo

1989 Aq131d

Badazdodge

I had my 89 AQ131D at a shop because it just wouldn't start any more. The shop told me that it had jumped time and could have possibly bent a valve in doing so. But they also told me that all 4 cylinders had good compression. Is it possible to have good compression with a bent valve? When I took it home to replace the timing belt I removed the distributor cap to get to one of the sea water cooling lines and my rotor button was broken as if it was smashed up into the cap. Is this a result of it jumping time or do I have an entirely different issue?

Re: Aq131d

The AQ131D is a non-interference engine, so the valves won't touch the piston even if the timing belt breaks or jumps. I would expect ANY marine shop mechanic working with Volvos to know that.

Not sure what happened to your rotor, but the problem you describe cannot be related to the belt having jumped. Maybe the rotor and cap were incorrectly installed or they were incompatible with each other?

Re: Aq131d

Thank you. The cap is the correct one. I ordered it from sierra with the correct part number. The rotor button was from borg warner from a nuber I cross referenced. guess I need to look deeper into the distributor then.

Back