Logo

1989 80 hp mercury. I replaced the shift shaft seal and shaft won't line up

bluhm

I sucked some sand into my pump last november . I cleaned the pump and put it back in and it worked good. I only took it the boat out one more time before the ice hit. So now I put all new pump parts in. I drained the lower end and had a little water in it . I did a pressure test and found the shift shaft seal was leaking. I took out 2 screws and had to carefully pry the seal holder up. When the holder was unstuck the whole thing just slowly came up. I tried to push it back down but it's not lining up or connecting to the shift cam or what ever is done there. It just spins and that why I'm here. LOL LOL. I found another form where the exact same thing happened he turned his prop backward or where it would click and he said it would move the lower shaft fitting enough to allow the shaft to slip in. Thats not working. any answers . Righty now I'm looking at pulling the shaft career to see if It will release or take pressure off the cam follower? or I might be able to move the shift dogs Not sure yet.

Back