Logo

1989 60hp ignition trouble?

Moneyshot

Hi All, I am kind of a nube to working on boats so I would appreciate any help or advice you guys can give me. I have a 89 Johnson 60HP VRO motor on my fairly new-to- me pontoon boat which until recently has run flawlessly. I started having a problem this year starting it, and figured it was the primer valve not responding to pushing in the key. So, I just flip the valve to manual start and back to run for a second, and the motor starts right up. A pain in the a$$, but it worked – for a few weeks. The other day, I went to start the boat and absolutely nothing when I turned the key. No crank, no nothing. After a few tries and several curses, it started working again. After, I checked the main fuse and everything looks clean and happy. Connections to the battery are all tight and the battery is good. So, I’m thinking that the ignition switch has gone to hell. I’m not sure how to remove the old one, and I don’t want to screw stuff up in the control box by guessing how it comes apart. Can any of you offer step by step directions on how to replace the actual switch itself? I don’t want to attempt it and have handles, springs and whatever else busted or fall into the drink and have to take what’s left of it to a mechanic in a bag! :( Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: ignition trouble?

May not be the ign switch, but the neutral switch.
Did the alarm make its short 'beeep' when ign was put on?
If alarm 'beeps', but starter not engaging, just wiggle the shift-lever and see if that helps.
If this helps, a sign that it may be time to service the remote control.
Take apart, lubricate and re-adjust the shift-switch.

No normal beeps - just like no power. I tried to use the trim and tilt on the side of the motor at the time, and that was dead as well. Just as fast, it all came back to life!

Bad connection at the battery, or bad connection with the large harness plug under the cowl of the engine. Certainly not an ignition switch problem.

Agree with haffiman & martino. Even though the battery terminals are "tight" they can still be corroded enough to cause the symptoms you describe.

By the way, it is a cluster f**k of wires on the battery terminals. Everthing runs dirctly to the battery itself. I know it's not optimal, and I woould like to clean it up. Is there a good place to look for advice/pics on how it's supposed to be hooked up properly? Thanks in advance!

On battery itself, only one max two cables on each terminal.
B+ to main switch (preferably) or B+ direct to engine and one to a fuse box (Accessories).
B-, one direct to engine and one to a connection rail for accessories.

This should give you an idea.

Attachments

• Acc lWiring.jpg
    Acc lWiring.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 610

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help! I will try cleaning up the terminals/leads today and let you know what happens.
Don

Well, I cleaned up the terminals and connectors an it now cranks like a champ. No luck on the primer valve, but I think I'll try cleaning it out and see what happens. Thanks again - you guys rock!
Don

Back