Logo

1989 4.3 oil cooler leak

sae267839

I have a 89' 4.3 cobra that the power steering oil cooler is leaking water from housing. It is on end where the housing is put together. Can these be repaired?

Is the correct pn # 985716?

Could any of this other PN work?

Best place to get part if I can not get it repaired?

Last edited:
Re: 4.3 oil cooler leak

I didn't think the 4.3 had an oil cooler or do you mean a power steering cooler?

PN 985716 is for the power steering cooler, I had both in my boat, they looked the same but the oil connections were different.

Do you have a remote oil filter on there, if so follow the braided hoses to see if they go to this cooler you have or maybe it is the PS cooler in which case 985716 is the one you want.

Here is one on ebay now for a decent price ($180) compared to dealer price ($400)
http://cgi.ebay.ca/OMC-POWER-STEERI...at_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item5ad2827b5b

Bob you are correct and I noticed when logging off I forgot to say Power Steering oil coooler. Put I was being pulled away from computer, sorry.

I found them on the net for $120-130. I read some where while looking up parts numbers that someone was taking there's to radiator shop for repair. No reply on if they could or did fix it. Mine is leaking around seem where it is put together.

Thanks on confirming the part number for me Bob. Do you know if any of the other numbers would work. It looks like the same part just different angle of oil fittings.

Yes...I have heard of them sometimes being repaired but like hystat says, go for new if you can get one at a good $$$, remember yours is 20+ yrs old!!!

ps...not sure if the other PN's will work for you, you might be taking a chance with a different PN

In this case there is no other option. Buy used gonna be replacing it again soon, buy new gonna last longer then the boat at this period in time.

Back