Logo

1989 30HP JRLCED remove flywheel

"Hi guys, I removed the main c

"Hi guys, I removed the main crank bolt at the top of the flywheel. How does this thing come off?? I thought it would remove with a little tug or a tap.
Is there something else to remove or do I need a puller?? I see threaded bolt holes at top..

I'm trying to gain access to the ignition wiring beneath. This motor overheated some wires are melted.."

Chris while the engine is stil

Chris while the engine is still together...do a compression test.
You will need a flywheel puller utilising those three threaded holes.

"That is a great puller, but t

"That is a great puller, but the harmonic balancer puller from Napa works as well. You do need to know that the threaded holes go deep into the ignition, so just put enough thread in the flywheel that you don't spear a coil by accident.(don't ask!)

Don't forget to tighten up the exhaust cover and the powerhead gasket. If they get hot enough to melt wires, everything is going to be loose.

If it was mine, I'd take the exhaust cover off and look at the exhaust side of the pistons It might save a lot of grief or sleepless nights."

"ok maybe i can rent a puller?

"ok maybe i can rent a puller??

How hard is it to get the compression test done?do i take it to a marina?

what would be considered a cooked motor or no good??

This motor looks easy to work on, could I replace rings, engine componants to get her back on the water? This motor ran absolutly perfect till the water pump screwed me a week ago..trolled mint great motor, tons of power for my 16aluminum smokercraft.. thanks again guys"

"when the exhaust cover is off

"when the exhaust cover is off, the hot side of the piston is right there, if it does not look clean and have it's original appearance then you need a re bore and oversize pistons. Those burnt pistons will have melted streaks down the side of the pistons, not clean machine marks. Visual look is better than a compression test any day."

"Doug,william thanks alot!!

"Doug,william thanks alot!!

I took the exhuast cover off when i got off the water, the pistons are just fine by sight. clean rings no burn streaks.the pistons sound good when turning the flywheel, lots of puff there...all i got to go on...."

"they look dark in the lower p

"they look dark in the lower part of the piston not sure if normal wear or a bad situation?

the machine marks are clean and undamaged . the only streaks i see are hairline like 3 or 4 but barely noticeable??

i feel like I'm on the fence, some damage from heat but nothing dramatic, I will proceed to a compression test before spending too much.

can a marina do this?? is there a fee?? I have the lower unit off now main shaft and wpump out."

"Thats the best news you have

"Thats the best news you have heard all day!!! You can buy a thread in compression gauge from Napa for what the labor would be at the marina. That way you have a tool for the tool box. Having a little discolor and few minor streaks is not a problem. You should be fine. Clean up the middle plate from the exhaust cover and hold it to the sunlight and look for any pin holes , then put the sealer on your gaskets and set it back together."

Back