Logo

1989 30HP JRLCED overheatedhelp please

not sure where to start..I thi

not sure where to start..I think I have an undamaged motor but still won't start.

I was running out of a boat launch and picked up some weeds over the intake on the lower unit. I looked back twice before at start up to see water pumping out the top hose just fine. When i went out to pick up speed I noticed a difference in the sound of the motor and looking back saw no water passing out the exhaust overflow but still pumping out the top hose. There was a wad of weeds covering the bottom unit must have stopped the water flow to the motor.

I shut it off quickly but she overheated and steamed up bad for a few minutes. Now it will pull fine it sounds like the compression is ok but will not fire??

the plugs looked ok..could the coils be fried?? anything else to check for?? thanks alot

"a follow up...., I pulled the

"a follow up...., I pulled the cover off the exhaust manifold and looked at the pistons. They look fine I lubed them up with a fogging storage spray for outboards. With the crank engaged the drive seems fine all turning with the prop.

I think replace the coils and wiring there, go after that water pump,..

How much work to replace the impeller??thanks"

"Overheated to a point whereas

"Overheated to a point whereas the engine would steam........ check all wires for melting conditions and repair as needed.

Remove cylinder head, carefully clean the sealing surfaces of the head and block and install a new head gasket. Torque the head bolts 18 to 20 foot pounds in the following sequence:

Tighten the rest of all of the bolts on that powerhead.

With s/plugs removed, check to see what kind of spark you have..... strong blue, weak yellow, etc.

Thousands of parts in my remaining stock. Not able to list them all. Let me know what you need and I'll look it up for you. Visit my eBay store at:

http://stores.ebay.com/Evinrude-Johnson-Outboard-Parts-etc?refid=store"

Back