Logo

1989 200 HP Mariner starting problem

red314

Hello All

I am having probl

Hello All

I am having problems with my 1989 200 H.P. outboard mariner starting. I am having to use the throtle to choke on start up. Once the motor starts it seems to run fine and idle fine but start up sucks.

I did get the motor serviced for this problem but it still wont start good for me. The timming was ok the carbs were resinked but I can not get it to start good. The push the key to choke seems to work from what I can tell.

I am looking for tips on fixes this spring do to the boat it is stored for winter. I just bought the boat in the middle of last summer so it is still new to me and not to sure on the starting history

"If carbs are clean and functi

"If carbs are clean and functioning which we can assume and every thing adjusted right starting procedure is.

Make sure fuel bowl has pressure ,push in key and turn, once motor fires should be 5 seconds give or take ,relesase key and turn without pushing ,motor should run ,in a perfect world ,if it doesnt try choking again."

I have done the starting proce

I have done the starting process like you stated but it dosent start. I end up having to use the throttle to help start the motor.

Carbs are clean and I had the repair shop make sure they are adjusted right.

The motor runs great once it is started

Does the primer bulb on the gas line need to be used? The motor has a fuel pump.

The fuel pump is not electrit.

The fuel pump is not electrit. I will be taking the fuel tanks out of the boat and cleaning them and the area. All the fuel lines will be inspected. I notice a fuel smell once in a while so that might be where I loose prime if that is the problem because the primer bulb never feels like it does anything.

Back