Logo

1989 200 H.P. Evinrude Wiring issue

coasty14

I am working on a 200 H.P. Evinrude (1989 ). Looper. Someone else rebuilt this engine and when the guy brought it to me to check out, I ran through the normal spark test and found that it was only firing on 3 cylinders. My visual inspection found that there was no shift interrupter swith at all, he bypassed that. I installed a shift interruptor and performed more test and found a bad rectifier/ regulator. got it all put back together and started it. it fired on all 6 cylinders. I went to shut it off and it appears that the key switch only killed 3 cylinders. So, I pulled plug wires, got it to die. Now, I go back to my spark test. I found if I leave the key switch in the off position, I am getting fire on 1,3 and 5, but nothing on the other bank. I used a screwdriver to push down on the shift interrupter and then I had no spark at all. shouldn't the key switch kill spark to all 6 cylinders? Please understand, I found several butt connectors under the power pack where the guy who did the rebuild rigged up some stuff and somehow he by-passed the shift interrupter. I need some assistance here please?
Thanks,
Chuck

I am working on a 200 H.P. Evinrude (1989 ). Looper. Someone else rebuilt this engine and when the guy brought it to me to check out, I ran through the normal spark test and found that it was only firing on 3 cylinders. My visual inspection found that there was no shift interrupter swith at all, he bypassed that. I installed a shift interruptor and performed more test and found a bad rectifier/ regulator. got it all put back together and started it. it fired on all 6 cylinders. I went to shut it off and it appears that the key switch only killed 3 cylinders. So, I pulled plug wires, got it to die. Now, I go back to my spark test. I found if I leave the key switch in the off position, I am getting fire on 1,3 and 5, but nothing on the other bank. I used a screwdriver to push down on the shift interrupter and then I had no spark at all. shouldn't the key switch kill spark to all 6 cylinders? Please understand, I found several butt connectors under the power pack where the guy who did the rebuild rigged up some stuff and somehow he by-passed the shift interrupter. I need some assistance here please?
Thanks,
Chuck

There is a wire identification diagram at the back of the manual for 1973 -1991 60 - 225 hp models on the Boatinfo website if it will help ( Cannot post a link )

Unfortunately does not show the key switch but I guess it grounds the yellow black to kill the engine but that is only connected to the port side powerpack.. ........( Cyls 2,4 and 6)

Last edited:
So, after pulling what little hair I have left out of my head, I discovered that the guy who rebuilt this engine installed a power pack that does not go on this engine. not sure how he made things worked, but it does appear that his personal wiring did not work all that well. He smoked the rectifier/regulator and had the stop circuit wired so that only 3 cylinders were being cut off when you turn the key to the off position. I have ordered the correct parts and all should go well once I get them installed the proper way. Thanks for your assistance Vics.

Back