Logo

1989 150GT won't start

cdzenga

Has fuel, good compression but appears to not be firing. I don't know much about marine engines so all help would be appreciated!

Sheared flywheel key comes to mind .----Kill switch working OK ?----------How long have you owned it ?--------------Do you hear a click when you turn ignition on and push the key in ?---------How did it run the last time you used it and what happened ??------------Provide all the information so that someone can help you from miles and miles away.

motor turns over good! Safety key is in it and as far as I know it is working! Started about 2 weeks ago and ran good! When I push key in it clicks for choke! Its like there is no fire in the wires!

Do you have a battery selector switch ? and is your battery cranking at least 250rpm's ? why I am asking is I had that problem a month a go

clean your battery cables and the ground from your power pack , and see if that works. Im trying to come up with minor things that could cause this.
and also make sure your battery is good and your starter is not dragging.

Be specific......

Are you saying that the electric starter is cranking the engine over properly BUT the engine will not fire and start running?.... OR.....

Are you saying that when you turn the key to the START position, the electric starter DOES NOT crank the engine over?

If you want a detailed answer to solve your problem, we need to know exactly what the problem is.

The starter turns the engine good but it will not start! Checked since all plugs for spark but none of the 6 have spark! Thinking that maybe kill switch is bad but not sure how to check it!

When you operate the key switch or kill switch it connects part of the power pack to ground so the engine will not fire any more. If any kind of switch like these are faulty then you will not have spark.

I think it is the yellow and black wire at the power pack, if you disconnect that wire and it still has no spark that will eliminate those switches and any wiring as being at fault. Google cdi trouble shooting, really good info there.

Good idea to get a timing light to check for any spark.
If you want to understand outboard electrics best thing is to buy a manual first and have a good read.

A spark test that I always perform is to disconnect the large RED electrical connector at the engine, then with "all" spark plugs removed, crank the engine over by using a small jumper wire from the battery cable connection at the starter solenoid to one of the small 3/8" nut terminals of the solenoid that engages the solenoid.

If you have spark with that large RED plug disconnected BUT no spark with it connected, the problem is usually a shorted ignition switch. Let us know what you find.

You brunt a coil up by simply following the instructions I provided? That would be impossible unless you have the wiring of that engine screwed up proper! I'll back out of here with my suggestions so that you don't have anything else sucked up.

If the kill switch clips over key that a mechanical kill not a electrical one. Pull the plugs and test for spark, if it fires your battery, starter or cables have a problem. These year engines have the "T" pack ignition and these are very prone for problems.

If you burnt a coil out then obviously you have to replace that first but if your wiring is wrong it may happen again.

I would say one yellow black wire goes to the key switch and the other goes to the kill switch. Disconnect both wires, put a timing light on No1 spark plug, turn the engine for 5 seconds and see if the timing light flashes. It should flash straigt away when the engine turns over, if it does not then stop turning engine, reconnect wires and start to check other parts. The outboard must be turning over fast with the starter motor.

Google CDI trouble shooting, pick your engine and follow the instructions. Buy a manual for your engine and read read read. What I have learnt on these sites is people can help with information but you have to put some effort into educating yourself as well so you know what they are talking about.

If your not sure on this kind of trouble shooting then it may be best to give it to an outboard shop to look at. No shame it that, I used to do it when I first got into boating.

Ok so I replaced coil and kill switch plus I did kill switch check and I still have no spark! Someone please tell me where to start looking next!

I disconnected the stator to rectifier wires and still no spark. Gonna check stator ohms today. There is no juice going to coils!

There is no mention of how you checked for " juice to coils "-----------Just a note ,the coils on your motor do not operate on 12 volts from the battery.

You need a DVA to check your system not just a DVOM. Unless you have an analog meter with one built in.

Did you check the magnets up under the flywheel for being loose or touching each other?

IF the magnets are spaced correctly and not loose, you will need a DVM and a trouble shooting guide. CDI electronics has one on there website.

The comment about disconnecting the large red plug under the engine cover was suggested because there are other causes of this problem, such as a bad key switch, pinched wire, etc. It it were mine, I would disconnect the red plug. Take a look at the starter solenoid. There are two large terminals, two small terminals. One large terminal goes straight to the starter, the other large terminal indirectly to the battery. Take a look at the small terminals. One has a short wire going to the block (ground), the other terminal goes indirectly to the key switch. With the plugs out and grounded, jump the small solenoid key terminal to the large solenoid battery terminal. Be careful, as this should cause the engine to turn over. See if you have any fire on any of the plugs.

Thank you to everyone that has tried to help! I am taking it to the shop today and let them diagnose the problem for me! Thanx again guys!

Back