Logo

1988 Mercury 5HP 2 stroke

algae

Hi, I'm looking at buying an '88 Mercury outboard. I'm told it runs well but I haven't seen it in person yet. I'm worried about the age. Can anyone comment on how well these guys hold up? I've done some poking around and it seems parts are difficult to get but maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

Thanks!!

Personally see a compression test done on her, and if possible a run on open water

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have a compression tester, maybe I'll try to borrow one. What should the pressure be? I won't be able to run it in open water. I will see it run in barrel of water. Is there an easy way to confirm it's pumping water properly?

A visual for the telltale stream will tell you she's pumping water, place hand in telltale stream, If you can keep hand there indefinitely she's not running to warm. Place hand on cylinder head for a 6 second count while she's running,fingers should not get scorched, An infrared digital temp gun could tell you the same,140-160 degrees, Don't have compression #, If it starts and reaches wot,we can assume it's ok

Thanks johnnygjr and fastjeff. I actually bought the motor before I saw you suggestions. it started easily and idled smoothly in a barrel of water and seemed to pee well. Because it was running in a barrel I couldn't take it to WOT. Now I'm anxious to confirm WOT in open water. hopefully its OK.

Thanks again!

I was able to get the motor out onto the water with a 12 ft jon. It ran great for the most part but for one issue. A few times after several minutes of WOT it would start to sputter, if I didn't back of the throttle it would stall out. If I did back off the throttle it would recuperate and I could go back to WOT with no issue. Any idea what could be causing that?

Inspect inside of fuel tank for water,gunk,etc. Is fuel from last year still in tank? Check for air leaks on all lines,bulb,pump,filter,etc. Try pumping bulb when issue arises again,If she runs better you have a restriction in fuel supply or a weak and or damaged pump, Possible issue with debris in carb. blocking a jet

I was using fuel that I had mixed a couple months ago for a chainsaw that uses the same ratio. It had been treated with stabilizer. One thing I didn't think of until now, is regular 2 stroke oil OK to use?

On the oil container it should say TCW-3, The" W" standing for water cooled, two cycle water cooled-3, Lawnmower 2 cycle is different, "air cooled", I believe TCA

Thanks johnnygjr. I'll have to pick some up.

fastjeff, I believe it was wide open but I hadn't inspected the tank. I'll do that before its next run.

Back