Logo

1988 Mercruiser 120 2.5L stalling after warming up

I guess I am old...
After 30+ years of working on them I have no issues finding 99% of the Alpha gen 1 parts needed.

I get that a service location may not want to work on older stuff as we all know, it can open a can of worms....

My point was its not that old that it cannot be serviced as parts are still plentiful.

May need to find a service shop that still works on Alpha gen 1 boats....

Still plenty who do so in my area.

I guess I am old...
After 30+ years of working on them I have no issues finding 99% of the Alpha gen 1 parts needed.

I get that a service location may not want to work on older stuff as we all know, it can open a can of worms....

My point was its not that old that it cannot be serviced as parts are still plentiful.

May need to find a service shop that still works on Alpha gen 1 boats....

Still plenty who do so in my area.
Alpha One are easy to find but the older stuff isn't. If we know where to look, that is. I had accounts at Land N Sea and Northern Wholesale, but both have kicked small dealers to the curb, so I buy on Amazon or locally, since I worked for one of the larger boat dealers and know people are some of the others, so the price is better than what Land N Sea charges.

The 4 Winns I bought was actually going to be practice for my retirement since repairing/refurbing boats is one of the things I have planned to do- boy, did I get to practice! The previous owner really did a number on it just by neglecting the impeller.

Do you have your own shop?

Alpha One are easy to find but the older stuff isn't. If we know where to look, that is. I had accounts at Land N Sea and Northern Wholesale, but both have kicked small dealers to the curb, so I buy on Amazon or locally, since I worked for one of the larger boat dealers and know people are some of the others, so the price is better than what Land N Sea charges.

The 4 Winns I bought was actually going to be practice for my retirement since repairing/refurbing boats is one of the things I have planned to do- boy, did I get to practice! The previous owner really did a number on it just by neglecting the impeller.

Do you have your own shop?
No I do not.
I work from my home as I have a regular corp job.
I spent 5-6 yrs at a full service fresh water marina and then spent the next 25+ yrs working on whom ever needed repair.

The first 15 yrs were very busy as my name got out there.

The last several yrs I mostly work on friends and friends of friends boats when they have issues and they have to bring them to me.

With me there is no wait as most marine businesses have a multi week wait.

I really ONLY work on Mercruisers.
All the manuals and tools.
So now it is more of a hobby.

No I do not.
I work from my home as I have a regular corp job.
I spent 5-6 yrs at a full service fresh water marina and then spent the next 25+ yrs working on whom ever needed repair.

The first 15 yrs were very busy as my name got out there.

The last several yrs I mostly work on friends and friends of friends boats when they have issues and they have to bring them to me.

With me there is no wait as most marine businesses have a multi week wait.

I really ONLY work on Mercruisers.
All the manuals and tools.
So now it is more of a hobby.
A friend lost his job and while we were talking, he asked "What are we going to do when we grow up?". I said that I always thought a couple of decent-paying hobbies was a good idea. Working on boats is one of mine. I do a bit with OMC, general maintenance with Volvo-Penta but nothing major. I have done oil changes/winterized/Summerized outboards and various inboards & stern drives but haven't been to an in-person training since 2000 although I have done several Mercury/Mercruiser online training modules.

I'm not planning to stay in the MKE area much longer and might go to Lake Of The Ozarks for awhile- have friends there and that area has a serious lack of people doing boat service. I just don't want to end up working constantly.

Back