Logo

1988 Mariner 75hp getting spark and fuel will not start

Dallasdobbs76

I have a 1988 Mariner 75hp 2 stroke. That has 96 on 2 cylinders and 55-56 on the 3rd(bottom) cylinder. Could this keep the boat from starting. It is getting fire and fuel and turns over strong and fast. It even tries to hit every few seconds but will not start? Thanks

The serv. manual states that with anything below 120 PSIG expect problems. You are pretty low and you have an excessive difference between the pressure of the cylinders....10-15% max is the norm there per comments from knowledgeable folks and manuals. I'd say it's time for an overhaul.

Remove the exhaust cover ( about 20 bolts ) and inspect pistons and rings.-----This is sounding EXPENSIVE to me.-----And find out what caused this or you will have the same issue again.-------Sounds like perhaps the oil pump stopped turning.----Damaged plastic drive gear on the crankshaft.-----And no there is no head gasket on that motor.

Welcome.....it's talking to you......HELP ME! Fun motor to overhaul.....we can coach you here if you want to tackle it. I'll be doing my old 115 this spring. Too cold here now, hit -35 yesterday.....record low, ands that's not considering wind chill. With wind chill -55.
Think I'm gonna change my avatar......time for my younger days with my Mark 30.

Last edited:
Welcome.....it's talking to you......HELP ME! Fun motor to overhaul.....we can coach you here if you want to tackle it. I'll be doing my old 115 this spring. Too cold here now, hit -35 yesterday.....record low, ands that's not considering wind chill. With wind chill -55.
Think I'm gonna change my avatar......time for my younger days with my Mark 30.
Since I already positively contributed to this post maybe the site cops will let me diverge slightly:
Years ago I bought a 14' Mirror Craft aluminum skiff. I rigged up a side mounted remote console. Got to looking around and this senior lady's husband died and she was selling his Mark 30 with controls for $200 in the Mid 70's time frame. I bought it and in looking it over it looked like it had never had a wrench to it, had some scratches and slight signs of normal use. I installed it and it cranked right up and I used it for a number of years and sold it to a couple of firemen. It was a good combination of boat size and power. Really enjoyed the rig and never had to do anything to it but put gas and oil in the engine. Till I got on here back in 2004, and learned about all the "gotchas", I never did anything to any of my engines but change the spark plugs ever so often.....none ever let me down.

Ha, funny...."site cops". That is a 16' Cadillac, transom was replaced a few years before this photo....Mahogany. It's still up at camp and we still use it.....but the transom is getting rotten. Merc is here at home. Gonna tune it up and replace transom again, then hang the 6 horse troller next to the 30 again.....and relive this picture, same place. "Farmer" is gone, but never will be forgotten.

Back