Logo

1988 M70A TOHATSU - No Spark after replacing Water Pump Kit (but may be due to overheating)

nadherick

This is my first boat ever. I have gotten about 6-8 uses out of it before being told by a buddy the motor is overheating if it starts beeping.
I replaced water pump kit then took it to lake and backed it in to see if it worked and see if i got water from the telltale.
Negative- it started and ran but smoking very quickly and then the beeping AGAIN.
So I dropped the lower unit again, and there was a rubber seal that connects to the water tube for the water to get sucked up through, which was stuck on the tube when I remove the lower unit so I use some crazy glue to put it back on there and it wouldn’t remove again , I went to go start it up and now it just cranks, but it does not start. I have it dropped off at a mechanics house where he’s trying to get the fly removed because he’s not getting any spark so I need from what he says a trigger coil exciter coil and the alternator I managed to find the alternator and the exciter coil on eBay and they look about the same part with the same part number. The only one I can’t find is the trigger coil if someone can please help me out and tell me that this is too far gone , but from what I’m reading on these engines, they seem to have a real high appeal to certain people because of the longevity of them and I’ve also been told that the engine that I realistically all you need to do is keep gas in it and it’ll run forever. This engine and the fact that it goes pretty fast on my light boat but now I’m starting to lose hope and I think I made a bad decision again this is my first boat.

Strange that it would need all these parts all of a sudden.----How badly did this motor overheat ?-----Any sign of wires melted where they touch the engine ?

Yeah still havent gotten the flywheel off it's stuck going to have to soak it with penetrate oil and let it sit for a bit. I'm not getting enough voltage from it.

So when I replaced the water pump the first time and did the water test I noticed it was running a lot weaker, and as I was trying to get it in high idle, it wasn’t as powerful as before, and then it just died out and shut off
I’m not the one doing the electrical diagnostics of it. This is from a mobile mechanic that I dropped the boat off at, but I did replace the water pump so I’m hoping I didn’t do anything wrong or anything to further hurt the engine.

Now it does crank so I can turn the key and the engine will act like it wants to fire, but it won’t catch so it’s still turns but doesn’t turn on

Still soaking the flywheel in penetrating oil, to remove to test.
I ordered a CD Ignition unit which arrives today, to see if it starts with that before removing flywheel and testing exciter and trigger- the motors not getting spark so im hoping this CD unit gets it there.

Back