Logo

1988 Johnson 40hp cooking power packs

DirtyNephson

I have a 1988 Johnson model J40TLCCS that is constantly cooking the power pack. It sat for a few years and recently took it out of storage and got it running. Rebuilt carbs, new impeller, lower unit oil, new fuel pump, new spark plugs. Took it out and it died after about 10-15 mins. I thought it was fuel related at first. Come to find out it lost spark. After research found out it was the power pack. Thought it may have been a fluke so I got a new one on it and it fired right up. Went on a 40 mile trip and it stalled. It would start back up but run rough for a few seconds and stall. Then it would not start at all. After trial and error figured out it was the pp again. After some research I found that coils or a faulty key switch could cause the pp to fall. I replaced both coils and the key switch with new oem parts. Put another new oem pp on it and it fired right up. Took it out again for about 25 miles and it did the same thing. Stalled, ran rough for a few seconds and now no start again. I had a spare Amazon pp on the boat in case it failed again. I replaced the pp on the water and got the boat home. What other issues could cause the pp to fail frequently? The motor is in great shape. All wires appear to also be in great shape. Engine is clean and well taken care of. Runs perfect while it runs. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6674.jpeg
    IMG_6674.jpeg
    75.9 KB · Views: 17
Bad key switch back feeding voltage into kill wire or bad coil causing kickback into pack. Makes sure parts where OEM and not label replaces/interchanges with OEM number. If they came off amazon doubt they are OEM

You are correct. By the black Creek bridge. I Live on the St. John’s
I know white hair and astor bridges, where is black creek bridge? Anyway, I live on the coast but fished and did Silver glen and salt springs for the last 40 years. Nice 13 Whaler, I have a 68 13 that i'm going to restore with a 4 cylinder 40 Merc. Small world

Back