Logo

1988 Johnson 150 HP Starter problems

I purchased a 1988, 150 HP Johnson outboard. Each time it tries to fire on a cylinder the starter kicks out. It takes many tries to start the engine. So I replaced the starter with a new one from my local boat shop (over $200.00)and the new one does the same thins. If the starer would stay in gauged a little longer it would start on. again One cylinder fires and it kicks the starter out.I have never witnessed this before.
(The flywheel looks good,teeth all look good and not wore). so would it be the new starter? Does anyone know why this is doing this?
Thanks
Mr Steve

Simple steps for you to take.----Your motor may be in poor condition.-----Post the compression values here.-----And does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on all leads?-----Is flywheel key sheared ?----Have you battery load tested.

Simple steps for you to take.----Your motor may be in poor condition.-----Post the compression values here.-----And does spark jump a gap of 3/8" on all leads?-----Is flywheel key sheared ?----Have you battery load tested.

All cylinders have a compression of 90 when cold and on dry compression test.
Batteries are new and load test is good.
Not sure what you mean o spark jump, But all cylinders fire with good spark.
When the motor does finally start it sounds and runs good. My understanding is the boat was in storage for last 5 or 6 years.
Motor sound great, top end is good, but hard to start with starter jumping out as soon as a cylinder fires. if it stayed engaged longer ( more that one cylinder fire) it would start right up.

Back