Logo

1988 Johnson 150 GT Vro to Mech. fuel pump change over question

oran

Hello all, I am changing the VRO system over to mech. diaphragm fuel pumps on my 1988 150Gt Johnson, and have a few question.
Question 1- Can I use the same vacuum line and just put a tee in to run the second fuel pump? Or do I need to use a second vacuum line from the other vacuum port? If I do have to use a second line do I have to use a check valve in the line?
Question 2- When plumbing the the fuel line do I put the pumps in series and have the outlet of one pump feed the inlet of the next pump and then out the second pump to the carbs? Or can I run one pump to feed one carb and the other pump to feed two carbs?
Thanks in advance for your help.

what kind of mechanical fuel pump are you talking about ?

I had purchased fuel pump off ebay that were from a 1979 175 hp. Johnson. They are the old diaphragm type fuel pump that have a a fuel inlet,outlet and a vacuum port brass fitting on the bottom. After recieving these pumps I went ahead and rebuilt them with all new gaskets and diaphragms.

The 2 pumps are put in series with the fuel going thru both pumps.-----------Use the pulse ports from the motor ( one to each pump ) and it will work just fine.----------A V-6 uses 3/8" fuel line from tank to the motor.

It is not a " vacuum line " it is a pulsing port !!!----Absolutely no check valve as pumps operate on a positive / negative pulse.---------------------You run one pulse line to one pump and the other to the second pump.---No need to make this complicated at all.-----With a check valve in the line the pump would not work.

It is a " pulse limiter " to protect the VRO pump from backfire in the motor.-------------Not installed for the earlier pumps at all !--The two pumps run from different cylinders.Each cylinder has its own crankcase.

Since they were not installed on earlier models,does that mean I should to remove the existing one, or just leave it?

not sure it's supposed to be series (fuel tank)------(pump1)------(pump2)------(carbs)

Aren't they supposed to be in parallel? (fuel tank)-------\----(pump1)-------/--------(carbs)
.......................ignore dots. formatting....................... \---(pump2)------/

I'm not certain either, but parallel is what I seem to remember.

Last edited:
See post # 4 for the correct path !----------------Discharge from pump 1 to intake of pump 2 then out to carburetors.------Check that by going to the parts pages if you must.

Thanks again racerone. I finished up the change over this afternoon, and fired it up in the yard. I had to fabricate a mounting and then plumbing. I wanted to test run it,but the wife and daughter didnt want to go for a boat ride. So its looks like next weekend on the test run. I did fire it up in yard and ran fine @ idle,but I know there is a difference from idle and full load. Thanks again for all yall's help.

Back