Logo

1988 J70ELCCA will not run

R_P

VRO plugged running 50:1 premix. Second year with this boat and was a champ last year and ran fine on the muffs after waxing. So I put the boat in at the ramp and as my son was bringing it on a two mile run to the dock he got right outside the creek it died. I hopped in another boat and towed him in.
Start to trouble shoot by simply verifying the problem. Turn the key and it cranks fine and coughs one or two times. Third and any consecutive turn of the key is a solid crank but no cough and pretty solid smell of gas. OK- first thought is stuck floats or no spark. Pull the silencer to see the carbs, pump the ball and no gas pouring out so guess on to spark. Pull the plugs- they are soaked. Get a set of new plugs and once again get a cough out of it but will not run. Put one of the old plugs in the boot grounded to the block and I can see what appears to be blue spark for all 3 coils when cranking so now really starting to get perplexed. disconnect the red main harness to rule out remote and see the engine side has a pretty good burn mark in it. With main plug disconnected I jump the starter solenoid to see what it would do and as it cranks notice what seems like smoke coming from the engine side of the red plug. Obviously something is shorting. OMC 583560 motor cable assembly is no longer available so I am now waiting on CDI 413-3560. Hoping it is a direct replacement and that it will get me running again.
Am I on the right path? Anything else I can do while I wait?

OK. Pull flywheel nut and will it be visible or am I popping flywheel off too? Torque spec for reassembly?

Or put #1 to TDC and see timing pointer is in the right spot.----Need to do more than take nut off.-----Use 100 ft-,bs torque.

Flywheel is still timed correctly.

New engine side wire harness/cable assembly arrived today. Fished the old one out and got the new one in. Successful fix. Engine is now back to normal but I do have to test the warning buzzer as I can't remember the initial beep at key turn. Started raining so that will be another day.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that inside the red plug, the wire to the electric choke was shorted to + voltage and flooding the engine. Probably not a common occurrence for future readers, but in this instance, it is now fixed.

Back