Logo

1988 Evinrude Xp Runs Away

We are here to help, I've noticed in all these years, Racer seems to have a 6th sense. He often hits it right on with little information up front.

The lower one is the shift !!---And it does not look correct either.----You may have shift issues and I suggest getting shift rod height checked.------It is the upper one that needs to be adjusted for throttle.-----Stop and look at this.-----Do not start the motor.----Have an assistant operate the control box.------Turn propeller and have assistant put motor to full throttle.----Now have assistant SLOWLY, SLOWLY bring motor to idle and observe linkages.-------You will hopefully see how / what needs to be adjusted.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks alot. I've got the throttle issue resolved. Now just need to look into the shifting portion and make sure its correct. I really appreciate the help.

The lower one is the shift !!---And it does not look correct either.----You may have shift issues and I suggest getting shift rod height checked.------It is the upper one that needs to be adjusted for throttle.-----Stop and look at this.-----Do not start the motor.----Have an assistant operate the control box.------Turn propeller and have assistant put motor to full throttle.----Now have assistant SLOWLY, SLOWLY bring motor to idle and observe linkages.-------You will hopefully see how / what needs to be adjusted.

Back