Logo

1988 Evinrude 15hp

sacobra

I have a 1988 Evinrude 15hp th

I have a 1988 Evinrude 15hp that seems to be leaking lower unit oil out of the water intake holes when the unit is tilted up. Is this something that I will have to pull the lower unit to fix? I'm pretty good with a wrench and a book so I would like to try to repair this myself.

"the first thing to do,is to t

"the first thing to do,is to try to determine,if in fact,it IS,lower unit oil,...and not combustion condensation.Thne,remove gearcase,drain oil,pressurize to determine where leak is.Fixing only ONE leaking seal at a time is ....well,...spitting in the wind...if a gearcase needs re-sealing,..the whole thing should be re-sealed!!!..."

It is definitely gear oil...I

It is definitely gear oil...I changed it about a month ago and it looks nice and clean. It only leaks from the water intake holes when it is tilted. Its not leaking from any other areas. I drained the oil today to drop the lower unit and there was definitely water in it. I've only had it out twice since changing the fluid so it must have a pretty good leak. I changed the plug gaskets when I changed the oil. The lower unit looks clean inside. Definitely hasn't seen salt water. Do they make a kit to replace all of the seals or do I have to buy them separately? Thanks for the help...

Back