Logo

1988 25hp problems

Wild_bill

Hello all,

I’m new to the forum, and my internet searches brought me here. I’m having some issues out my a 1988 Johnson 25 horse. Basically I took it too a shop last year and they got it running but before I could take it out my dad took the boat. Long story short it sat up for several months and he didn’t take it for a test run. I get it back and immediately have issues.

the boat runs great WOT, the problem is idle and low speed. At times it starts right up but it struggles once you put it into gear. I took the carb off and cleaned it up and slapped it back on. Cranked her up in the drive with muffs and she sounded awesome. Took her out the other day fired right up but still have a few issues. I’m gonna take the carb back off and do a more thourogh cleaning but not sure that this isn’t a timing issue. When I was out fishing I fished for a while and tried starting her up and she’s crank and die almost immediately. It took me about 15 minutes before I could get her going, slowly getting better. So it would crank, I’d get a little gas on her. Then die. If I run it mid throttle the RPMs in the motor go back and fourth but it will still run for a little while before it shuts off. Once I finally got it wide open it ran awesome. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I took her to a local mechanic and he turned me away stating that I should just buy a new carb and bolt
it on. I don’t think this is the best fix, the carb looks pretty good on the inside and I did purchase a rebuild kit.

If you haven't already done so check compression and spark energy (must jump 7/16" gap) before bothering with your carb.

What was the initial problem that led you to take it to the shop in the first place? What did they do?

I initially took it in for a service, carb tune (because I tried adjusting it without knowing what I was doing. SMH.) They changed the spark plugs, lower unit oil, installed an inline fuel filter, and cleaned the carb.

Back