Logo

1988 15hp - 2 different carbs listed

pilot1950

Continuing my process of reviving a neglected 15hp. E15RCCS - I ordered a carb gasket / rebuild kit. Upon receipt it just didn't seem complete. I now see there are two different carbs listed for this year. The carb I thought I had was 397722 with rebuilt kit 0398453. I can now see I have the other carb (couldn't find the carb part number) with a rebuilt kit 0439073. Wondering why they offered 2 different carbs? Was this a mid year / running change? Is one an improvement over the other (fixing known issues)? The one I have seems to be somewhat more complex. Ironically, the older 15hp I have (1982) seems to have the 397722 carb so I'll hang onto the kit.

Any tips on this rebuild (other than don't break any parts)?

Yeah mine has the plastic top and bottom carb. They changed later in 1988, don't know why but I prefer the all metal carby.
This part plastic later model one which they used for several years is prone to the top cover and the bowl breaking. Very frustrating in comparison to the earlier model.

The kit I have coming is an aftermarket kit. Glad to hear I really need to be careful with the plastic parts, although I'm usually not too aggressive when it comes to working on delicate pieces. In addition, I suspect finding replacement carbs for the 15 would be a tough job. Planning to take the starter recoil system off to gain better access. I recently read that taking the flywheel off makes that process much easier, particularly with the "safety pawl" system, or whatever it's called to prevent the recoil from working at higher rpm. Somebody must have done that somewhere along the line causing that design change to be made. I'm fairly sure I can rig up a puller for the flywheel.

It seems they used this style carb up through 93 (or so) as best I can read.

The older carbs are preferenced by me, personally. Since the 15 hp carbs are basically all you need to "hot rod" a 9.9, they are nearly impossible to find. I have epoxied cracked covers with limited success. May be repairing one today, in fact. One of the mechanisms of degradation of polymers consists of formation of strong chemical-bonding crosslinks between macromolecular chains of polymer. As a result, the polymer losses its flexibility, becomes stiffer and brittle. I'm old school.....plastic belongs in disposable water bottles....not carburators. How about those bakelite Thermoquads....remember those? What a joke! I converted many cars/trucks to the Quadrojet instead.....way better carb.

Last edited:
LOL !! I hear that ! Spoken as an active 70 year old tinkerer. I had all the stress I needed during my work years. "Easy going" is my prime directive these days.

Back