Logo

1988 115 2+2 High Idle

safdchief18

Put the boat in the water today. Motor ran great for about 3 minutes. Running at wot and the motor died like it ran out of fuel. Would only restart using the choke. I was able to keep it running by choking occasionally and running at about 3k rpm. Continued to do that to get back to the dock. Now when I start the engine the rpm will not go below 1800. Thoughts? Brand new carbs last spring, ran great for an entire season with no issues. I started it up in the yard this year and ran great on the muffs in the yard this morning for 10 minutes.

Okay, I finally got a little time to investigate further tonight. I pulled the resonator cover off to check the carb synchronization and immediately found the problem. Sticking out of carb #2 was the straw from a fogging oil can. It was holding the butterfly open. I removed it and she purrs like a kitten again.
The sad part is, I remember last fall losing the straw into the resonator when I was fogging the engine. Lesson learned! Check the simple things first!

Back