Logo

1988 110 Evinrude trim release screw backed off but still can't move motor

PhilSch

Regular Contributor
I pulled the powerhead without removing the lower unit and now want to pull the lower unit to check the water pump before installing the powerhead. I backed off the manual release trim screw several turns (stopped at the circlip) but no oil is coming out and I can not move motor up or down.

The tilt trim worked with the control switch before I removed the powerhead so I know there is oil in the trim pump and nothing is frozen. Any idea why no oil comes out and why I can not move the motor?

In order to tilt the motor up so I can get the lower unit off I suspended the powerhead over the boat with the hoist, hooked up the electrical and the power trim works as expected. I am still puzzled (and concerned) the manual tilt trim release screw does not do anything when backed off to the circlip (approx 3 turns). Ideas?

The circlip is there to prevent you from backing out the screw till it starts leaking !-----And no oil does not leak out after you loosen it 2 turns.

If you back the screw off all the way and if these pressure in the system it should go down and fluid should fly out. (I know that bcuz I have a 96 225hp and I backed the screw to far out and fluid literally shot out like a missile

So you all are saying if your power trim fails and you need to manually lift the motor you have to remove the circlip? If that's true then the design is stupid. Who carries a circlip tool with them?

These motors are not a stupid design and are actually elegantly simple to work on.-----You are not reading this correctly !!----You back out the screw 2 turns to lower / raise your motor manually.------There should be NO OIL LEAKING OUT during this procedure.----The clip is there to prevent a rambunctious owner from taking the screw all the way out.-----If it does not work as described here there is something wrong !!!-----Up to you to do the work or come on over as I think I can fix it.

Last edited:
These motors are not a stupid design and are actually elegantly simple to work on.-----You are not reading this correctly !!----You back out the screw 2 turns to lower / raise your motor manually.------There should be NO OIL LEAKING OUT during this procedure.----The clip is there to prevent a rambunctious owner from taking the screw all the way out.-----If it does not work as described here there is something wrong !!!-----Up to you to do the work or come on over as I think I can fix it.

Well I backed it out 3 turns (to the circlip) and the motor does NOT move manually. It was tilted up slightly and I could stand on the lower unit with the screw loosened and no movement. As mentioned in a previous post I used the power tilt to raise the motor so I could remove the lower unit but what if I need to raise it manually sometime in the future?

BTW, I have a 60 Evinrude of the same vintage that does leak oil when I back the screw out to the circlip.

Back