Logo

1988 100 Merc Oil injected starting problem

Rpt3sfd

Hello all I have a 100hp Merc that turns over and really wants to start. Originally i thought it was the stator because i wasnt getting spark I replaced the stator and now i have spark. It turns over great but just doesnt start. The starter cuts out when it senses its going to fire. Could it be the trigger?? thanks for any and all help

What you're saying, I believe, is that the Bendix jumps out and just spins.

You can check the continuity of the trigger coil circuits with n ohm meter, but try some starting fluid first.

Jeff

I have tried the starting fluid I am going to test the trigger tomorrow with a meter, thank you.

it ran well last week then just sputtered-out one night and I couldn’t get it started again. I have been pushing the key in but am not sure if that was helping ( this is new to me, boat and motor). It really does want to start

Ok replace Stator no start replaced Trigger no start. At the very last minute we tried starting fluid again and broom started right up. So now trying to diagnose why were not getting fuel. But getting closer to solving the problem. The filter looks full and I took off the initial hose to the pump and fuel is getting in so. I will figure it out soon.

Is the enricher working when you push the key in ?--------When you get the motor running and warmed up you push the key in.---Report how the motor responds.

Okay so it will start with starting fluid sprayed in carbs but will not idle. It ran awful for a few minutes in high idle ( sputtering almost misfiring ) thinking it may be a timing issue. Brining it to a real outboard Mechanic Wednesday. Will update then Going to try and tinker a bit as read through the forum.

Back