Logo

1987 Johnson 175 HP Issue

jamjh1969

I have a 1986 Johnson 175 outboard with a VRO bypass. I've sunk almost $4000 into it so far and want to make sure I'm not getting hosed. So far on the first round he has installed a new wiring harness, stator, flywheel, coil packs, plugs, all new throttle body and cables, adjusted linkage, and some other stuff I can't remember but it was a lot. When I got it home and tried to start it, it would blow the fuse. After some research I found a wire that I think went to the VRO pump, so I disconnected it and the motor would start but the kill switch wouldn't work and I would have to push the key in for the choke to shut off the motor. Round 2, I took it back he said he fixed the electrical but it needed the lower unit replaced. Thankfully I had an 1987 Evinrude 150 XP that I was able to use the lower unit off of. When I got it home I hooked up the water ears tried to start it and it blew the fuse. I replaced the fuse tried to start it again and got it to turn over but not start and the key switch started rotating freely. I tightened the nut around it and it held in place and I got it started and was able to engage forward and reverse but didn't think to test the kill switch. Sorry so long winded, but I'm trying to give as much detail as possible. So, I took it to the lake tried to start it and it blew a fuse. I replaced the fuse got it started let it idle for a bit took the kill switch off and it kept running and I had to push in the key to choke it and shut it off. I restarted it and when I put it in gear it died immediately. From then on when I tried to start it, it would turn over and immediately die and I couldn't get it started again. So anyone got any ideas as to what is going on and if this guy is hosing me over?

why did you replace the wiring harness stator and flywheel and carbs. i can see replacing the wiring if mice chewed it up or something to that effect but i doubt the flywheel and carbs needed replaced unless the bowls were corroded out or the throttle shafts were worn into the casting which i highly doubt. if i was you id stop throwing money at random parts and find the source of the issues then proceed from there. these motors are simple for the most part the most complicated system on these engines are the cdi and even then most homeowners can trouble shoot these issues with a little guidance. if i was you id get your recept out and list everything that has been thrown at that motor before you proceed any further and i would have the tech give back all the crap he took off that motor cus i have a hard time beliveing that all those parts had issues the old carbs could likely be rebuilt and set on a shelf for future use and the old flywheel was it cracked or damaged. as far as your issue get the manual for that motor but in the mean time you can remove the plugs look for any that is fouled more than the others and make sure they are the right plugs for that motor and get a compression gauge and find out what the compression is then get back with us and i imagine you will be able to figure your issues out.

Back