Logo

1987 force 35hp.overheated will not run

bird 42

yesterday i ran aground on a sand bar and the engine stalled out.The engine didn't kick up out of the water like it should have and the prop got a little shewed up.It started back up kind of hard but seemed to be running fine.I never thought to check and see if it was still pumping water. I must have run it a good 3-4 miles normally and then she started slowing down and running bad. I shut it off just before it stalled out and it wouldn't crank back over.The engine smelled hot and maybe a little smoke.after it cooled down she'd crank over but not run.Maybe cranked over slightly faster than normal.It has great spark on both plugs but will not fire with starting fluid.Any idea what might be wrong with it. Thanks for any info.

Head gasket blew. Check all the compression. Check it again after you are done working. Might want to fix that broken alarm, too. Straightedge the head to see if it is bent.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info......I checked it out.The head bolts were not even very tight at all and a little water in the one cyclinder.........

would you happen to know what kind of cylinder pressure i should have ? It was around 50 psi before i pulled it appart.Thanks for any info

On a GOOD guage about 150# The results need to be about the same on both cylinders.If one reads 125# and the other 100# there is something wrong.I believe the tourqe should be about 20ft lbs.J

Back