Logo

1987 force 35hp overheated impeller good

bird 42

Hello,my 35 hp. overheated last weekend and with this web sites forums I've found out the head gasket was blown.Actually the head does have a small warp in it so that's going to the machine shop tomorrw.My question is what could've caused the problem with a good impeller.Could just blowing the head gasket cause the engine to overheat ? or something else ?
I replaced the impeller which was in good shape.I replaced that with a impeller with a few more fins in it,i would imagine that's just an improvement(not sure ?). Last weekend with out my knowing, i had my engine "engaged" or locked down and stalled it out on a sand bar.the engine never kicked up of coarse and tore up the prop a little(found that out after i got it out of the water).I ran the boat maybe about an hour before the boat blew the head gasket.I had her going wide open and working the engine pretty hard.Had a few people in the boat.When i relaced the impeller there seemed to be a lot of small black pieces of something down there all over in that housing area.The drive shaft had what looked like some carbon built up on about half of that shaft.So i assume that is what the small black pieces were ? not sure.Well i appreciate anymore more info on this problem just trying to avoid a simular problem.This boat never had a overheat alarm on it,but i did buy one,just waiting for that to arrive.They show that alarm as a accessory for that year.Hopefully they come with instructions on how to hook them up. Well thanks again for any info .

Re: 1987 force 35overheated impeller good

sand drawn into cooling system may caused a blockage that could still exist check for this while your at it b-4 running engine again. Possible its the other way around;with any engine with aluminum head)s) overheating severe enough to warp a head would also blow the gasket seal integrity

Ok,Thanks,That was my thought too also except i hadn't spotted any sand anywhere .I did flush water everywhere i could.So hopefully if there was one it flushed it out.

hi, late reply but i have known a similar problem, when the head gasket goes it puts a back pressure down through the water jacket stopping the water from passing up into the block, hence it overheats even with a good impeller, had one very similar and took me a while to figure out. a sure sign is that you found soot / carbon on the drive shaft and no doubt covering the impeller housing.

Back