Logo

1987 Evinrude 60 No reverse. !!!!!!

Omcking

Hi All,

As fishing season is rolling around Im needing to do some work to the evinrude. The motor runs excellent and I love it. However I have no reverse. Was like this when purchased. Forward and neutral work flawlessly. However when trying to put it in reverse with the controls. it will only grind it will not go in. Now I can reach back there and shift it into reverse by hand and it works perfectly. I have messed with the shift linkage and can not get it to work. Which leads me to believe its in the shift rod. Any information on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Step #1 is to remove lower unit.-----Set / verify the shift rod height.-----Might install new water pump impeller while it is apart.----Any sign of impact damage on front / bottom of lower unit ?----If a rock was hit it can jam /limit down motion of the shift mechanism to get reverse.

Appreciate the infor racerone. This will be the first time Ive ever done anything with the shift rod so its gonna be a learning curve for me. Do you have any idea what the shift rod length should be for a 1987 evinrude 60 vro. Also what to look out for. Like I said ive never done it so kinda just diving in head first.

Back