Logo

1987 Bayliner Trophy with OMC 305 Help

1987Bayliner

I just purchased my first boat last week. I am having a hard time tracking down the appropriate parts for the engine. I had one opportunity to take the boat out and when I was on my way in the boat stalled and the starter ended up shorting out on me - I was dead in the water. Luckily I was able to get a tow in from another guy that was going by.

Now for the fun stuff:

The guy I bought the boat off of shared the motor had been replaced a few years ago, but he had issues with starters about every two years. I managed to get the block model number (10243878) which turned out to be a 1996-1997, 305 Chevy Small Block 5 litre. I believe the last starter was replaced with a car starter that is no longer being made. I couldn't locate the part number, but the numbers located on the side are DELCO REMY 1998557 A7214 -- I went to our local marina and the guy sold me an API Marine 10099HD 12V PMGR Delco Starter, which is half the size of the starter that came out of the boat. We installed it and it didn't line up with the flywheel - I don't think, my uncle installed it while I was at work and said it would like the flywheel was grinding and took it off before I got home.

The guy at the marine shop swears that is the correct starter, but my engine is the problem. The thing is, the boat turned over it just sounded like the gears on the starter did not line up.

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on if they think I purchased the correct starter and there is an underlying issue with flywheel/motor, or if the guy at the marine shop just sold me the wrong one. I have attached pictures of everything -- If you guys could help I would truly appreciate it.

This is my first time on this site, but my guess is it won't be my last!

Thanks,

Andy

Attachments

• 5litre.jpg
    5litre.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Starters.jpg
    Starters.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Starter1.jpg
    Starter1.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 16