Logo

1987 9.9 HP Powerhead Installation

I removed the powerhead from my 1987 9.9 HP Evinrude to resolve a water flow grommet issue. The mating surface was either damaged by me during removal or by previous repair. I have attached a picture. I have a new gasket and am ready to reassemble. Should I apply Permatex or other gasket sealer to the damaged area? I am not certain how critical this mating surface is. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Attachments

• Evinrude 02.JPG
    Evinrude 02.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 30
That needs to be fixed.----What issues did you have when removing powerhead ?-----They usually come off easy for me.

Aluminum epoxy putty.-----Myself I would replace the housing as I have some.-----Then repair that one with a product called ---" lumiweld " ----I know how to use the stuff.

8271 is a steel filled adhesive. I think I would follow the above advice and seek out an aluminum filled epoxy putty. If you do not fill the gap you will have an exhaust gas leak. Perhaps JB Weld SteelStik epoxy putty will be suitable

Last edited:
Your reply is appreciated. Before I saw it, I bouight some JB Marine Weld 8272. I haven't applied it yet but it says it will look with aluminum. If the SteelStik is better, I can cut my small loss and purchase that.

Your reply is appreciated. Before I saw it, I bouight some JB Marine Weld 8272. I haven't applied it yet but it says it will look with aluminum. If the SteelStik is better, I can cut my small loss and purchase that.

Just thinking that a mouldable putty might be better than an adhesive.

I have absolutely no experience with these products. If you are saying the SteelStik is a putty and suitable, I will defer to your recommendation. I truly appreciate it.

Back