Logo

1987 60HP MERCURY questions for the ADVANCED?

FUEL issues,I replaced all the lines to and from the tank,new diaphram kit,lines to the pump new ball,also I installed a glass see thru filter after the ball,the boats starts and idles fine,as soon as I go from just in gear to half/full throttle it bogs or hesitates then she takes off,THEN it will stall,I noticed it is sucking the glass filter dry,I have to pump the ball fill the filter and do it all over again?I dont get it,is my fuel line to long?is it ok to have a filter AFter the ball valve? to big of fuel lines? PLEASE HELP

Make sure the fuel tank vent is actually venting. Take a look at the siphon tube in the tank for blockage. Try another tank. Glass filter for testing is OK otherwise the US Coast Guard does not allow it.

You can NOT get away with a filter BEFORE the fuel pump on most outboards (including this one, of which I'm very familiar). Get rid of it and be very sure there's no air leaks anywhere in the lines.

I run a clear, reinforced plastic fuel hose (True Value hardware store) from the tank to the motor. It lets me SEE if it's running full of fuel, which it wasn't until I rearraged things. The attached video (at the end) shows what was happening before I figured this crap out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oCSXMSWUEU

Jeff

Make sure the fuel tank vent is actually venting. Take a look at the siphon tube in the tank for blockage. Try another tank. Glass filter for testing is OK otherwise the US Coast Guard does not allow it.
OK,I had no idea you could not use a glass fuel filter on a boat!it is made by MOELLER,I took it off and will try to check for air leaks and install a spare portable tank and to isolate the problem,thank you for helping

Last edited:
I checked all lines everything is nice and tight,I took out the glass filter and replaced the line coming from the fuel pump to the carbs looked a little old.

ok,thought all was ok,took off the glass filter made sure all the lines were tight,and the boat ran great I had to adjust the fuel mixture,it was running great,then took my wife out for a day off crabbing and the boat ran flawless?UNTIL the motor had been running for about 2-3 hours of just idleing the problems came right back?same issues run at 1/4 throttle ot half or W/O takes off then sucks the ball dry and stalls???DAMN so pump the ball up run for 100 yards stall again! and again! till we get back to the dock?WHAT THE HELL IS IT?I cant figure it out,temp sensor? PLEASE HELP

Replace the bulb--the outlet check valve is locking up on you. HAd this happen to me a few years back--drove me nuts!

Jeff

I wanted to thank all for the help!I found that the dealer who worked on the motor had replaced the the fuel pump plastic check valves had forgot to take off the old rubber check valves?wow that was a learning experience.

Back