Logo

1987 60 HP Johnson, will start and idle, but stalls out when you attempt to give it gas

Sonny7thb

It has been running perfect all spring and summer. Ran fine yesterday on the way op the river........sat for about an hour, it started fine, and coming back down the river it died. Once it refired, could not get past about 4 or 5 miles per hour (as per the GPS) each time I tried to give it gas, it would stall out like it is starved for gas. It was after dark when I got back to the dock with it, and have not had a chance to check anything as of yet............just fishing for things to look for????????

Thanks, in advance,
Sonny

well, I went to the boat dock today, pulled the fuel line off going into the motor, and the gas was the color of dark tea??????? I pumped the primer bulb a few times and clear gas came through. So, I pulled the drains out of the three carburetors, replaced the inline fuel filter and squeezed the primer until clear gas came out of the bottom of all three carbs. Buttoned it back up and took it for a test ride.........did way better than the other night, but still only runs about 2/3rds speed.

I am going to go back and pull the three carbs off to clean them...........any other ideas??????????

If you have compression and spark, and this problem took place on an outing between start ups, I'd say you're on the right track.

Are you running a VRO system or have you converted to pre-mix?

Back