Logo

1987 15 hp Evinrude is Overheating Pumps water fine Need Help

albert

" I cannot figure this out. I

" I cannot figure this out. I have replaced the thermostat, head gasket, and examined the water jacket and my 1987 15 hp Evinrude is still overheating. Well it is not smoking but the water is very hot and the powerheard is so hot that it actually blew the head gasket. I was told that there may be blockage in the head somewheres but I think so because water is pumping fine? well it looks to be pumping fine? but I do notice that after running at high speads, on the way down, the water pump sputters a bit for a brief moment then resumes back to full power?

I also notices a mild howling noise from the engine. Should I replace the water pump? what could be causing it to overheat?

Thanks
Albert Ariotti "

"Albert.... That could be caus

"Albert.... That could be caused by a failing water pump, in which case I would suggest that you drop the lower unit to inspect it. Also, there is a rubber grommet which seals the top of the water tube just under the powerhead. That grommet may be failing, folding back etc, which would block the water flow. It would be necessary to remove the powerhead to inspect/replace the grommet.

Joe
"

Back