Logo

1987 110hp Thermostat Replacement?

flawlessrx

Hello, new to the forum. The thermostat is mounted below the exhaust housing/powerhead adaptor. I've removed the rear lower cover. Any easy way to get to it?

I created a removable access cover so thermostat changes are easy without removing powerhead. I will take some pics and post later.

Here is a picture of the access window I created. While not pretty it works great. In fact it is easier to service the thermostat via this window than it is trying to do it with the powerhead off and no window. Makes me wonder why OMC did not build something like this into their motors to begin with.

The two large holes were not needed so all you need to do is cut the rectangle with a dremel abrasive disc then rivet some thin aluminum plate onto the part you cut out to hold it in place. If you look on the outside of the window there are 4 brass screws (with nuts on the inside) that hold it securely in place.

If you were concerned about the appearance you could apply bondo and spray paint and just grind out the bondo whenever you want to access the thermostat again.

Attachments

• Thermostat panel.jpg
    Thermostat panel.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 26
That window is a good idea. I did quite a few of them back in Northern WI when I was still working on them.

Back