Logo

1986 OMC IO 140HP engine wont stay running HELP

C

chrissyfaria

"my engine wont stay running,

"my engine wont stay running, when I spray the starting fluid in the carb it will start then dies right away. I have changed the carb, fuel pump, plugs,wires, Dist,the only thing that I can think of is maybe it the coil? Please get back to me I want to get it out there for the 4th of jully"

"Check that You have power to

"Check that You have power to the coil when ignition is on, engine not running!"

how do I check the power to th

how do I check the power to the coil?

"Volt meter is one way. Anothe

"Volt meter is one way. Another is to put on ignition, take off the distributor cap, turn engine until points are closed, take the wire from the cap (cap-coil) and hold it close to ground (NOT CARBURATOR!!!) open the points with a screw driver, there should be a spark jump!"

"what is the next step, if the

"what is the next step, if there is a spark?"

and if there is no spark what

and if there is no spark what do I do then?

"If there is a spark, the engi

"If there is a spark, the engine probably do not get fuel!
If no spark, no power to the ignition system/coil! Check the wireing, coil, resistor wire to coil/ign switch etc! Purple wire out of switch and on engine should have 12V+ when ignition is on. If You do not have suggest You by an ohm/volt meter or at least a test lamp. During testing pull apart the connector for the shift assist module in case that is the one making trouble."

Wow thank you so much im going

Wow thank you so much im going to go and check it out right now and ill tell you how I made out thank you for responding so quickly like you did

I got the spark but after I di

I got the spark but after I did that the engine doesnt even try to turn over it makes a ticking noise when I turn the key.

do you think that it might be

do you think that it might be the throddle?

I found only 9.5 volts going t

I found only 9.5 volts going to the ignition coil. and I was wrong there was no spark. could it be the wires going from the starter to the coil?

"9,5 is correct, there is a re

"9,5 is correct, there is a resistor wire before the coil. If there is no spark, your coil must be defect, providing You tested properly!
Are You sure You have fuel to the carb?
When You give throtle and look down the carb throat can You see fuel swqirting in!
To properly set ignition and timing I suggest You invest in a manual for the engine."

YES I have fuel going to the c

YES I have fuel going to the carb I saw it while I was locking down the carb I have a manual coming in the mail but I figured this way I will hopefully have my boat out in the water sooner. you told me that the purple wire going to the coil should have 12V+?

"Sorry, I forgot the resitor w

"Sorry, I forgot the resitor wire on this engine.
When You crank the engine, You will get the power to the coil from the wire that goes to the starter which is 12 Volt minus voltage drop due to the starter and even that will be about 10Volts . The power source is different when crancikg and running.. Set point gap .030 with a feeler gauge as a start, but You will need a timing light later to set the engine timing."

"thank you Im going to do that

"thank you Im going to do that tomorrow and ill get back to you if I got it to run I hope so because I want to get out there in the water, my father is going to teach me to ride it, it is my first boat. and Im so discuraged with the way that it's not running. But I hope that Ill get it in the water soon."

"off with the distributor cap,

"off with the distributor cap, turn the engine until points are on top on one of the 4 cams, losen the adjustmenscrew, insert the feeler gauge so it just goes in between the point contacts with a slight resistance, tigthen the screw again."

thank you my boat is running n

thank you my boat is running now but I noticed another problem I filled a big bucket of water and there was alot of oil in the water what do you think that is? and could you tell me how to adjust the idle in the carb?

"The 'oil' in the wate

"The 'oil' in the water may only be from the exhaust system, unless the engine itself or drive is loosing oil! As you have got it running, get the ignition timing set at 4 degr Before top dead center. Ot the crankcshaft pulley there is a small notch marking TDC. At the cover behind there is an indicator looking like a piece of saw blade with a grade scale on it, When the notch on the pulley aligns with the biggest notch on the indicator You have TDC (top dead center). Use Your timing light and turn the distributor when engine is running as low as possible and get the pulley mark at the 4 degree mark."

"do you want to hear something

"do you want to hear something funny? well it wasn't funny while it was happening but I was so excited that I got my boat to run that I forgot to put the nut on the boat to stop the water from coming into the boat, I was so embarased because there was alot of people at the boat dock there was so much water inside the boat that it was poring out for at least 5 min. thank god nothing happened to my engine or anything we only went out for about 15 min if we would have stoped to fish or anything we would have went down but we just wanted to test the boat out."

"If You got water up to the fl

"If You got water up to the fly wheel, take the starter down and have it lubricated before the starter pinion gets stuck!
PS: There are bilge pumps with auto starts. However I always put the drain plug in a plastic bag and tied it to the steering wheel if I took it out during winter storage!"

the water came almost into the

the water came almost into the boat. it was just about to come out of the inboard motor part is that the fly wheel?

"Flywhelhousing:
The rear par

"Flywhelhousing:
The rear part of the engine, most close to the transom. If it was water up on the oil sump or leveled with the enginemounts You for certain had water in the flywheel housing.
Two scres are holding the starter in adition to the braacket You see. They go from down and up close to the flywheel. 9/16 head f I remember right."

what causes the timming to flu

what causes the timming to flucuate and not stay at 4 degr before top dead center?

The engine needs to run at Idl

The engine needs to run at Idle or below 1000RPM or the spring loaded weights in the distributor starts to advance the timing.

"Unhook the throtle cable from

"Unhook the throtle cable from the carb and adjust the idle screw on the carb, not the mix screw at the carb bottom -the one opening the throtle plates, the adjust and rehook the trotle cable. Engine should idle around 700 when in gear, boat moving free. That normally is 8-850 rpm in neutral."

"thanks, im going to do that t

"thanks, im going to do that tomorrow and where do you pump the oil out of the engine to change it?"

"Use the dipstick tube. Attach

"Use the dipstick tube. Attach the pump to the tube and pump out, but run the engine hot first!"

Back