Logo

1986 omc 2seadrive hard to start

Jeff in indy

Had this 1986 2.6 seadrive motor for over 20 years. Once it starts it runs great
My issue is getting fuel to the carbs. I have a new fuel pump and have rebuilt the vro unit. I get fuel to the vro but I have to crank it until my battery is almost and sometimes spray starting fluid in the spark plug holes to get it to fire. Once started is runs and idles fine. I have read that the vro needs vacuum from the crankcase to operate properly. I did a compression test yesterday and readings of 85 82 86,78,85 and 80 lbs. I cannot find what is considered compression limits on what is needed to operate the vro. I am thinking it may be time to rebuild, but again once it starts it runs strong and idles fine.

The compression numbers are low especially if they were done warm. Perhaps your gauge is reading low. If the compression test was done in the water, that could produce lower numbers if the carbs were not opened up to suck a good amount of air. When I test these, especially when in the water, I make it sure that the carbs are able to suck enough air, all plugs out, and a nice fast cranking speed....fully charged battery (12.55 to 12.65 volts). Your symptoms as well as performance don't indicate a compression issue, so I am hesitant to accept your numbers as accurate.

Your starter motor may be failing !!-----Motor needs to crank fast to make spark.-----VRO runs off crankcase compression pulses.-----A positive pressure pulse and a slight negative ( vacuum ) pulse. ------VRO does not run off cylinder compression.

That engine needs to crank over at least 300 rpms in order for the stator (under the flywheel) to generate the approximate AC voltage of 300v to energize the powerpack's capacitor. A slow cranking engine will emit weak, erratic, and eventually no spark.

Also, since that charging system incorporates a 35amp stator, it is subject to overheating. Observe under the flywheel the two larger black coils at the rear portion of the stator. If they are dripping down a sticky looking substance upon the timer-base and the powerhead, the stator has failed and is more than likely the cause of the hard starting problem... that is, along with the slow cranking if that also exists. If this "meltdown" exists, replace the stator regardless of what readings you may get from it.

Back