Logo

1986 Mercury 25XD , electric start/tiller

LobbiJ

Hi guys, new here today,
I read good info here about my engine that helped me get it to run - sort of run i should say.

Here's some details, I bought this 1986 25XD a week ago, (twin cyl 2 stroke) it wouldn't start so I started checking things and replacing parts.

-New carb kit / carb cleaned today - through step by step following Martin Marine's instructions. - idle air screw is at 1.5 turns out.
- new reed valves installed yesterday - Reed block in Very nice condition - new base gasket and center seal installed.
- new Fast Idle lever ( original one was broken).
- new Fast Idle rod ( from Idle lever to stator plate) - original one was missing due to broken lever.
-new starter motor - brushes & armature worn out on original one.
- Compression Test cold shows 120 psi top cylinder and 118 in the lower cylinder.

This afternoon I had Wet spark plugs/compression & spark tester shows great spark - - I scratched my head a lot then found This forum!
With Jeff's suggestion to someone else I switched the positive leads on the coils - Now I can get it to Start BUT ONLY if I manually hold the timing lever/throttle open pretty far!

Whats up with this?? -
I don't know where to begin with this adjustment - To get it to stay running I have to hold it so far open I would not be able to adjust the Stop Screw far enough to hold it that far open!!
I'll attach a video of it running with me holding the timing / throttle open - nope, can't upload 10 second video
- Thanks in advance for your input
, Jeff

Back