Logo

1986 Johnson 175 crossflow

Wayno

My powerhead was just rebuilt and I took it for a test run yesterday. It ran perfectly for two hours and decide to head in with a big smile on my face and it started making a clunking noise. I immediately shut it down and pulled the cover. It wasn’t hot and the fuel is mixed 25-1. When I got it home I checked compression one found 115 - 118 per cylinder. I checked for play thinking maybe a rod bearing went and found no play anywhere. While turning it over by hand with the plugs out I found the motor catches like there is something stopping it. I can turn it counter clockwise just a bit and continue turning it over clockwise. There doesn’t appear to be any play in the crank. I fired it up and it’s firing on every cylinder and doesn’t sound as bad as it did on the water but still doesn’t sound right. Any ideas what might be causing this.

Drain the gear oil and inspect it.------I do not know what you did on this motor !-----But I recommend teardown and inspection of gearcase on a 35 year old motor before spending money on the powerhead.----Or remove bypass covers to observe motion of pistons as you rotate the flywheel.-----And who " rebuilt " the powerhead and did they bore it out with 6 new pistons installed ???----Post all the information that you have.

Drain the gear oil and inspect it.------I do not know what you did on this motor !-----But I recommend teardown and inspection of gearcase on a 35 year old motor before spending money on the powerhead.----Or remove bypass covers to observe motion of pistons as you rotate the flywheel.-----And who " rebuilt " the powerhead and did they bore it out with 6 new pistons installed ???----Post all the information that you have.

All cylinders bored .20 over and wiseco pistons installed.
Replaced Crank and crank bearings, rod bearings, all seals and gaskets. Rebuilt carbs and changed the high speed jets .2 over factory. Replaced VRO and am premixing. Running 90 octane non ethanol fuel. I rebuilt it myself but am a competent mechanic. I rebuild outboard motors as a hobby and to resell and never had a problem. This was my first 6 cylinder motor but am sure everything was done correctly and by the book. I will check the lower unit once it quits raining and am hoping the issue is there. I can rebuild it easily and have a spare with a bad seal for parts I was planning on fixing anyway.

Last edited:
Sorry-----Post #1 does not clearly indicate that you did this job yourself.------Good luck with it.

It appears my lower unit is toast. The drain plug had chunks of metal the the oil in is full of metal flake. It hangs up when I spin the drive shaft. I fired the motor with it off and all is good there thank goodness. Do you know what years will fit this motor. I would like to just pick one up to get me through while I rebuild one.

Back