Logo

1986 Grady White, 5.7 Liter,Cobra Sterndrive stalls when shifting

Lab-Lover

You guys have helped me with a couple other questions and issues in the past and I'm hoping you can do it again. The boat has the shift interrupter components and stalls when shifting after the engine is warm but shifts ok when cold. The shop replaced the secondary shift cable along with some bearings in the Cobra sterndrive, they also replaced the sparkplugs, points, condenser, rotor and distributor cap. The engine runs and shifts smoothly when cold but after trolling for a few hours and the engine is up to temp it will stall about 50% of the time when I shift from forward into neutral. The stall is an immediate kill, the engine doesn't miss or burble before it dies so it doesn't act like carburation. It acts more like an electrical kill, as if someone turned the key off.

Could it be that something is just a little out of adjustment and when it expands or moves with the heat it gets farther out of adjustment?

Does anyone have a schematic of the shift interrupter circuit or any kind of description of how to adjust the shift cable and circuit?

Any thoughts on how to test the shift interrupter components?

I assume if the micro switch was sticking the engine would miss before killing, is that correct?

Thanks for any help.

Bad switch would kill the motor.It's supposed to kill it for a micro second. Not adjusted right will cause it to kill. Testing, start IN the water.MUST be in the water. Then get back and manually move the switch. It's possible the new cable wasn't installed correct and in needs the adjustments redone?

Thanks for the input. I'm taking a mechanic for a ride tomorrow, hopefully he will be able to find the problem. I've been reading thru the Hastings attachment from Master Mechanic and it appears that all of the shift interrupter / cable adjustments require that the outdrive be removed. Are there adjustments that can take place from inside the engine compartment with the outdrive in place?

Back