Logo

1986 Evinrude problem

tommyboy

When I try to get out of the hole my motor seams to be hesitating for 5-10 seconds and then it takes off and is fine. The more weight in my boat the longer it takes. It doesn't seam to be misfiring, almost like its not getting enough fuel. She starts right up no problem. The engine was rebuilt 2 years ago, I replaced my fuel filter every spring. I piulled my cover thinking I would see carb bowls and I do not. I was going to drain the fuel out and spray carb cleaner in there. I'm not to familar with this year outboard so I'm lost when it comes to cleaning the carbs. Any advise out there??

Thanks in advance!

Open up the low speed fuel mixture 1/2 turn and try again.-------Spray carburetor cleaner is a waste of time.------------Outboard carburetors need to be taken apart for cleaning !!

????--------It is a dial / round knob on the front of the motor.-----------Put there for easy access by the owner operator.-----------Just like any threaded item you turn counterclockwise to open it up.------------------Now if it hits a stop there is no need to panic.-------Just pull the knob out and reposition it.

I took it to the lake and tried making that adjustment. It didn't work. I changed spark plugs and checked connections and all looks fine. As I throttled down I pressed in my choke to give it more gas and it still didn't make a difference. I would think this would eliminate a lack of fuel issue. If I empty my boat she takes off like a rocket, when I add extra weight is where the problem lies. If I pull the throttle back and forth she'll kick in and get on plane.

Any other thoughts??

Thanks in advance

Do a compression check !!--------------Put a timing light on it ( both cylinders ) and see what spark is doing.-----------Maybe go to a smaller prop.

I'll warm the engine up first, take out all four plugs, open the throttle all the way and test each cylinder by cranking the engine a few times witht he kill switch engaged of course........:)

Absolutely no need to " open the throttle " on a 2 stroke to do a compression test.-Test spark on all cylinders , should easily jump a gap of 7/16" with a snap you can hear.

Ok, I had a little fun today NOT!

I did the compression test, 125,125,120, and 125 in my cylinders :eek: I replaced my fuel filter, spark plugs and wires. I took her out this morning and she ran great! Then she started acting up again. I played with (I think the idle adjustment) it's located above my carb cover to the left, its a reg. screw driver head and has a nut behind it. My idle was low so I figured I'd get the idle up. Now she's a little worse! I think I have a carb issue and may have to hire a mechanic to rebuild. He wants $400.00 for labor, not including carb kits....:mad:
I'm going to drain my gass tomorrow and replace it with new gas. I use my boat 1-2 times a week so I'm constantly adding gas, don't think this will solve the issue but.....

Think I'm screwed..

Spoke to a old timer that fix's older outboards. He went and lokked at my motor, he said the older outboards have plastic carbs. The ethanol gas can warp the carbs causing air to be sucked in under a heavy load. He suggested rebuilding carbs to see if they are indeed warped. He also gave me a 17 pitch propp. I had a 19 on the outboard. He told me that this may fix it as well. Sure enough I switched propps and away went the issue. What happeded is my carbs are sucking more air while under a load causing the engine to bog down. With the lower pitch propp she doesn't stress as much and takes off. I lost 2-3 mph and my RPM's went up from 5200 WOT to 5800. She now runs like new!

Thanks for all your help.

I wanted to post my findings incase someone else comes accross this issue.

There is no mention of a 19" pitch prop / picture of the boat in your first post !!-------This is why it sometimes is difficult to give advise on sketchy information.

wasn't sketchi info....didn't know the propp would make a difference. Remember I didn't claim to be a expert in outboards that's why I'm here. When you said smaller propp, whats smaller? smaller than what?.....

Thanks again for your time. I appreciate your effort in this matter.

Smaller is less pitch, means that the motor can wind up faster !!--Less load.-------------No different than a car / truck using a transission to change motor RPM , because props in water slip there is no need for a transmission on an outboard, like a car.----------Sure does make a difference.

Back