Logo

1986 Evinrude noticed oil around the propellor

tonym

Contributing Member
hi out there ive got a 1986 evinrude e40elcde its been sitting in the shed for about 3 monthsand the motor been tilted half way up i lowered the motor down to give it a run and i noticed a bit of oil driped out from around the propellor about 3 table spoons the oil.It was very clean and it smelt more like gear oil not outboard oil i can not see any more leaking out, How can i check it to see if is leaking out of the rear seal. and if it is the seal at the propellor shaft do i have to pull the whole gears out to change it and is it simple to change any info is appreciated thanking you all Tony

Check your gear oil for water; if none then it may very well be oil from exhaust. No, you don't have to pull thegears out to change the seal on the prop shaft they are 2 back to back seals on the shaft in front.

Pressure test the gearcase to look for seal leaks.---------Oil around the lower unit is often from the oil mixed with the fuel.---Some of that oil goes straight through the motor and leaks down the exhaust.----Very noticeable after running on a hose or even after fogging the motor.

Pressure test the gearcase to look for seal leaks.---------Oil around the lower unit is often from the oil mixed with the fuel.---Some of that oil goes straight through the motor and leaks down the exhaust.----Very noticeable after running on a hose or even after fogging the motor.

thanks a lot for the info i shell check the oil in the gear box

Back