Logo

1986 Evinrude 50hp problem

joho5

"motor starts up like normal w

"motor starts up like normal with a prime. Itll idle for a bit, and then start to gallop or surge a little bit and then die out. If I hit the primer when it starts surging, it just prolongs the process. So I can actually keep the motor running by priming every so often.

We pulled the carbs and cleaned them completely.

To me it sounds like an air problem somewhere but with these carbs non-adjustable, It would be in the fuel lines somewhere...right?

We plan on changing out all fuel lines, but I was going to check on here to see what you guys think I can also check.

is there a quick way to explain how to lync and sync? Maybe thats the problem, but with hitting the primer switch keeping the motor running, I didnt think that was the problem.

thanks, any ideas are very welcome. Ohh at full throttle, itll run."

"Link & Sync....Assuming t

"Link & Sync....Assuming that timing is accurate. Linkage between carbs adjusted properly. All butterflies open and close at the same time. Butterflies just start to open when center of throttly cam roller is dead center with scribe mark on cam.

If engine continues to run if you constantly pump the fuel primer bulb (acting as a manual fuel pump), then you have either a..............

1 - A failing fuel pump.

2 - A fuel rstriction somewhere.

3 - A leaking O Ring if clip on fuel connectors are used.

4 - A break/leak in the fuel supply hose at some point that's causing the fuel pump to draw air."

"The bulb stays hard and the b

"The bulb stays hard and the bowls are getting fuel. I discounted a bad fuel pump because of that.

There are two marks on the cam...the one more leaning towards a negative movement, and then another right in front. You are talking about the second mark, I assume...so the butterflies need to begin opening as it hits that second mark, and then when the throttle is backed off completely it should go back to the first mark?

thanks"

Back