Logo

1986 AQ290 Steering spindle bearing question

Indy1K

Contributing Member
Hey folks,

Finally bought the special tools and a 12 ton press to properly remove the Steering Spindles from the Yokes so I can replace the seals and washers.
On inspection, the needle bearings are well greased and the yokes moved freely, but since I have the drives down this far and only want to do this once,
I thought I would replace the needle bearing #183391 and bushing #853062

These are rather expensive and I was wondering if anyone had second sourced especially the bearing.

Thanks,

Kevin

1986 SunRunner 310 Sunbridge with twin AQ260/290s single props

Yes, I have new ones, the gaskets and the inlet hoses too.
Boat is shrink wrapped until spring though.
Thanks,

Kev

Kev, in reading your thread here and in trying to decipher the languge, I believe that you are wanting to remove the "pivot tube" from the "suspension fork" and "Intermediate housing"......... correct?

If so, be very careful as to not damage either end of the pivot tube. This is soft material.

The pivot tube is mildly friction fit into the Intermediate housing. Heat in this area (to expand the aluminum) is very helpful.

Kev, in reading your thread here and in trying to decipher the languge, I believe that you are wanting to remove the "pivot tube" from the "suspension fork" and "Intermediate housing"......... correct?

If so, be very careful as to not damage either end of the pivot tube. This is soft material.

The pivot tube is mildly friction fit into the Intermediate housing. Heat in this area (to expand the aluminum) is very helpful.

Hi Rick,

Yes, I have removed the pivot tube from the fork and intermediate housing. I was very careful and used the special Drifts to remove it.
My question is there a second source for the needle bearing and bushing? I have already ordered the seals.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin, I have one in front of me right now.
The VP p/n is 183391 ..... the industry standard p/n is DNK 3520 DURKOPP Germany.

Equally important will be the condition of the needle bearing surface on the bottom of the pivot tube.
I have several pristine pivot tubes should you need one.

The upper bushing will come from Volvo Penta (or Sierra) ..... it's not worth trying to find it elsewhere.

Last edited:
Kevin, I have one in front of me right now.
The VP p/n is 183391 ..... the industry standard p/n is DNK 3520 DURKOPP Germany.

Equally important will be the condition of the needle bearing surface on the bottom of the pivot tube.
I have several pristine pivot tubes should you need one.

The upper bushing will come from Volvo Penta (or Sierra) ..... it's not worth trying to find it elsewhere.

Thanks Rick,

Do you have any new bearings you want to sell?
The bearing surface on the Pivot tube is in excellent shape and the bearing was packed with grease. I wanted to change the seals primarily.
I havent pressed the other one out so I dont know the condition.
How much for a pivot tube?

Thank you sir,

Regards,

Kevin

Ricardo,

BTW, there is a DNK3520 and a DHK3520. The DHK is readily available, but the DNK is much harder to find.
I need to pull one of my bearings out to see for sure, or just order from Volvo

Thanks,

Well I pressed out one of my bearings and the markings on it say German INA HK3520
I cleaned up the needle bearing and put it on the pivot shaft race area and it rolls freely with no high spots or end play.
I am going to just reuse it, repack it and put in new seals.

Thanks,

Kevin

Well I pressed out one of my bearings and the markings on it say German INA HK3520
I cleaned up the needle bearing and put it on the pivot shaft race area and it rolls freely with no high spots or end play.
I am going to just reuse it, repack it and put in new seals.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin, if the lower needle bearing surface of the pivot tube is good, then it's likely that the needle bearing is also OK.
Note that the grease port does not align with any porting in the needle cage.
It's a goofy design if you ask me!

Kevin, if the lower needle bearing surface of the pivot tube is good, then it's likely that the needle bearing is also OK.
Note that the grease port does not align with any porting in the needle cage.
It's a goofy design if you ask me!

Hey Ricardo!

Is it possible to drill the outer bearing shell to line up with the grease port hole.

Thereby allowing the grease to into the needles more easily.

Your thoughts?

Hey Ricardo!

Is it possible to drill the outer bearing shell to line up with the grease port hole.

Thereby allowing the grease to into the needles more easily.

Your thoughts?

If you will notice, the grease port directs grease so that it enters the cavity above the needle cage. This is the reason for the space between the needle cage and the upper seal. (the grease is actually forced over the top of the cage ....... poor design).

I think that you would have more success grinding a small slit into the side of the needle cage just shy of touching the needles. (flush well afterwards..... and pack w grease)

You could then create a groove in the aluminum (that would force the grease towards the center of the needle cage) and you would raise the needle gauge as to encapsulate the original portion of the goofy grease port.
Now the new grease port will be direct grease towards the slit that you made.

I have thought of this many times, but have never done it.
I think to be totally effective, the needle cage itself would need to have a grease groove (or several) around the interior needle contact surface.

I would love to see you try it, and post pictures.
Otherwise, I have always hand packed these needle bearings prior to reassembly.
(I don't believe that the grease gun and grease porting is very effective.)

Last edited:
Back