Logo

1986 AQ131/275 Engine BLOWN!!!

severence

So, as a first time boat owner, last fall I buy a gently used one owner 1986 Bayliner Capri with an inboard Volvo AQ 131/275 engine and drive/prop. This purchase was from a local man who had meticulously maintained the boat for the past 23 years but because his children were all grown, they no longer used the boat and did not put it in the water the past 3 years. However, the previous owner did all maintenance and necessary winterization and dry stored the boat. He gave us all the logs and notes he made over all the years. We used to always tell him that when he decided to get rid of his boat to let us know and that day came last fall. This boat was too good to pass up and if one was going to buy a boat due to appearance and previous owner care, this had all the signs pointing to it. Boat was in great shape and perfect for a newbie, at least I thought!

So after waiting all winter, I put the boat into the water last month (after calling a shop and double checking what needed done after a long winter's nap) and after an hour of fun, the boat's prop hit something (log?) and bent (we felt the tell-tell shimmying due to the bent prop) so we took the boat into the docks on the lake and turn the boat off and then it would not turn over... like it had a dead battery. So we figure it it is the battery and so I run to get a new battery and try that and still same problem... did not want to start like it had a weak battery. So we get the boat back on the trailer (and notice the bent prop) and take it to a Volvo Penta specific repair shop after waiting a week or so until they could fot it in their schedule. After weeks of waiting, they get a new starter installed, new points installed, new plugs installed, and the prop repaired and reinstalled. The shop also said they checked out everything else (fluids, running condition, etc.), took it out for a run, and said it all looks great... "Nice little boat you have there... Good buy" was what the shop told us. With no need for a new battery as the one it it was still good andhundreds of dollars later, I figure that despite these unexpected repairs, that now means the boat has been now all looked over and is all set for a summer of worryfree enjoyment since the boat is all checked out and in great shape and ready to go!

Well... get the boat back out on the lake and enjoying a fun hour of cruising and getting used to driving a boat and taking in the atmosphere. Start even making plans for where else to take the boat in the state and even plans for 4th of July! Just get comfortable with the feeling and enjoyment of boating and BOOM! What was that?!?! Did we hit something again? What's that? Smoke drifting from the engine cover! Get the fire extinguisher ready just in case! Pop open the engine cover and it is coated with oil! Not far from the docks, try starting the engine and it starts no problem so we start to limp to the docks while watching engine temp gauge as to not to seize the engine. Engine loses power and I decide not to push it so we get another friendly boater to tow us into the docks. Look closer at the engine and on the port side of the engine block there is a quarter size hole in the block and all the oil is down in the well below the engine (except for the oil coating the engine bay!). Did it bust a piston rod? Did it blow a valve rod? What blew through the side of the engine? So, we load it back on the trailer! At this point I start to wonder what the heck did we do wrong? Why can't I just enjoy this wonderful boat that every sign tells us it is a great boat to have bought? Were we not supposed to own a boat? Is this a sign? Does boat truly stand for (B)ust (O)ut (A)nother (T)housand as they say?

So now I am looking for answers! Can anybody help? Is there something that the repair shop did not do correctly when they installed the plugs? Or the points? Or something else they may have done wrong? Not that they would admit it, right? I just need to know why a boat that appears to have led a pampered and well mainted life suddenly blows it's motor! And, what do I do now and how much will it cost? Do I give up on being a boater?

Can anybody let me know what they think?

Help!

Re: AQ131/275 Engine BLOWN!!!

You did nothing wrong. At first glance it would appear that your engine threw a rod through the side. That does not happen very often, but it can and does happen. The likely cause is IMO a fatigued/sheared big end bolt, or loose big end bolts.

I suspect that rebuilding your engine will be expensive as you will need a new block and possibly a new crankshaft, at least one rod and one piston....

Your best bet would be to go to an autowrecker and get a Volvo car engine that has a compatible B230 block with yours and marinize it. This would be a 4 cylinder OHC B230 block from a Volvo 244 85-93 or a Volvo 8 valve 740 85-92. To marinize that car engine, you just have to transplant all the marine parts from your old engine: starter, alternator, carb, intake and exhaust manifold, fuel pump, distributor, heat exchager, raw water pump....It sounds complicated, but it is not. Once you get the car engine it will take you 2-3 days work to pull the old engine, marinize the new-to-you car engine, and install it in your boat. That is, provided you have a place where to pull the engine and install the marinized one. If you want someone else to do the job, then you will have to speak to a marine mechanic and tell him what you want.

Thanks el_pescador for the reply! And thanks for the advice on a possible replacement.

When you mentioned "fatigued/sheared big end bolt, or loose big end bolts", what are the "big end bolts"? Was was this something that the shop should or could have checked and prevented this or is it more so just a freak of nature? I did notice in the previous owner's notes some kind of schematic hand drawn pattern of tightening/torquing bolts and that he did that the fall of 1986 after his first summer owning the boat. Not sure if he ever did it again or on a regular basis and if that was necessary. Is this related to the cause you possibly mention?

You also mention the option of getting a Volvo car engine and marinizing it and that sounds like the possible route that I might go. You seem to imply that this is not that difficult. As a hobby, I restore old VW's and am always enamored with how well engineered VW's were for working on them and how easy it was for me to learn to work on them. I have never really got into VW engine repairs but I have pulled and re-installed VW engines before. My tool collection is respectable I guess. Do you think that Volvo's are just as practically engineered and able to be pulled and re-installed? Or am I better taking it to a shop? Any issues with removing the engine from the boat and re-installing and re-aligning the engine to the drive?

Any other advice?:confused: Appreciated as this all has me literally "sick" :( about the boat and now we have yet another beautiful summer day and I have a boat sitting here with a blown engine! I do know that I do want to decide what to do as far as repairing it as the boat is in overall great condition and as I hate to have this boat become "one of those boats you see sitting in the weeds somewhere because you know it broke down years ago and the owner just never took the initiative to get it fixed in the first place, and now it is in even worse condition years later"...if you know what I mean by those kinds of boats you just see sitting there.:cool:

I want to make the repairs even if it means that it gets it running and I sell it, even though I might not do that, but it better than it just sitting there and deteriorating, right!

Thanks and I look for more advice!

Severence, by "big end bolts" I refer to the connecting rod bearing bolts. I don't think there is anything a shop could/should have done to prevent it. Those bolts/nuts are tightened during the engine assembly and are never touched or checked again, unless you are rebuilding the engine or replacing a piston.

Your engine is nothing but a car engine to which a number of components have been changed to make it work on a boat. This includes the camshaft and all the other parts I mentioned above. By obtaining a car engine in good working condition and moving all the marine parts to it, you virtually get another AQ131.

There is nothing to do to realigning the engine: just mount it in the same position and make sure the marks on the transom shield do line-up with the marks in the bellhousing (flywheel cover). Also there is not much to pull the engine. You may want to search through old posts, as this has been discussed several times.

I think this is a job that a person who is mechanically inclined and has the means can do with no problem. Just get a repair manual (Seloc would be my preference, but you can also try Clymer or the Volvo Penta OEM). If you don't have means for pulling the engine, I am sure there must be someone in your area with a hoist or a small crane (or even an excavator) who could do that for you and put it in the box of yor pick-up truck (either for free or for a few beers, or even for a very small price), then you take it home, unload it and put it on an engine stand.

Thanks again el_pescador for the advice and answers! You are making me feel a little better about this. I will start searching for an engine and keep you posted and if okay ask questions that you may be able to help me with! Thanks!

el-pescador, on the local Craigslist, I found a 1985 740 GLE Volvo automatic car with 180,000 miles on it.

Listing about the car states: Motor runs great but we were told trannie must of went out on us. 180,000 miles on it. never showed any transmission problems. Was driving and when pulled over wouldn't go into gear.We don't know cars. Just know motor sounds great. We really are gonna lose out on this car we just bought less then a month ago for double. But like I said we were told looks like it may need a trannie, not sure.

Any thoughts as to if this would be a good donor car? Seems that most listings on craigslist have the Volvo's having high 100k-low 2OOk miles. Any warnings here?

Also, before marinizing a donor engine, should any re-build (new valves, cam, pistons, rings, etc?) be done to that donor engine beforehand to maybe prevent future issues or do it while the engine is out?

Let me know your thoughts and thanks!

Severence, if the engine is the right one and it works, you should not have a problem. Keep in mind that if the engine you find is fuel injected you will have to cap the fuel injector ports. With a carburated model there are no inhjection ports to cap. Also, you can always use the head on your old engine, as it is probably OK unless the boat has been run in salt water, in which case you may find corrosion in exhaust ports 3 and 4.

Regarding head and piston job, it all depends on how much money you want to put into it. From my perspective, if the engine has good compression and a leak down test shown no abnormal wear, I would just install it and run it. If it goes bad, you can always get hold of another cheap engine. Of course, if you want to go througha full overhaul, that will add to the cost but will give you additional peace of mind. Your choice.

Let your fingers do the shopping!

http://www.car-part.com

If you're local to the salvage yard, many will deliver at no charge.

I took a peak at local to me, and I could get an engine for $400 bucks with 170psi compression...

Being freshwater cooled, I believe you wouldn't even have to pull the head.

Before doing anything I would want EL P to sign off on it.

Back