Logo

1986 Alpha1 gen1 parts?

gene_d

Regular Contributor
I am in need of a lower shift cable. I want to replace all of the bellows while I have the unit apart.
Is there a kit available that has all bellows, clamps, lower shift cable, and gimble bearing?
All glue and grease would be nice too.
Is there anything else I should check?

What you buy and where you buy it is ultimatly your choice.

I have done hundreds of boot, bellows, cable and water hose replacements.

I ONLY BUY OEM!!! the difference in cost may be a issue with you but I will say this,

You spend thousands for a boat and you want to save maybe $100 on very important parts that are critical for the propper operation of that boat...............

People do the same with motor oil and filters..........why squabble over quality vs cost.........

Again its your call but I ALWAYS use OEM for critical parts.......

I'm leaning more and more towards being an advocate of OEM as well. Been bit more than once... starters, carb rebuild kits, etc.
I did the SEI transom seal kit on mine in December, so far so good. I'll post if I have any issues.
The only thing I really don't like about Mercruiser/Quicksilver is that they sometimes bundle parts toegether that don't suit the need, and significantly drives up the price. For example, I needed a new engine coupling. The coupling wasn't available by itself, had to buy the foreward section of driveshaft along with it. Maybe the intent is you don't replace one without the other. But if there was an issue with the driveshaft I would think chances are, it would be associated with the U-joints. Which if you buy the U-joints as an assembly, you get the shaft anyway... no pun inteneted.

I haven't had any trouble with Sierra parts yet. In fact my local parts place carries Sierra in place of some OEM mercruiser parts. Sometimes Mercruiser just charges way more for thier parts than they need to. Depends on the part. To each his own.

Troym

The reason for the drive shaft is for retrofitting non alpha 1 Gen II's with the shaft with the oring to keep the grease in the coupler due to the non servicable ujoints thus no need to pull the outdrive to service them and the shaft thus the grease fitting at the coupler which very few if anybody can reach or find unless it is a 4 cyclinder motor that you can reach behind.................

so yes they do some not so smart bundling but if you understand the root reason then it kinda makes sense.

Ya, that makes sense from Mercruiser's point of view... still cost me $150 more than I needed it to. Kind of like the serpantine belt with the power steering pump pulley thrown in. But really, they stopped putting the plastic pulleys on back in what, '98? 12 years later, there shouldn't be a whole heck af a lot of boats out there with the plastic ones left. Do they really need to keep punishishing us?

Back