Logo

1986 8HP will not stay running under load

fishman156

"I am running this as a kicker

"I am running this as a kicker motor on a sailboat. I Got caught up in some weeds launching the boat. I cleaned all the weeds off but the motor dies if I put it in forward or reverse unless I have about 1/3 choke open, runs fine in neutral with out the choke. Ran fine before this.

Is it possible that weeds may have gotten twisted on the prop shaft inside the lower unit? I would like to find any obvious issues before spending cash at the repair shop. Thanks"

try removing the prop and see

try removing the prop and see if any weeds are in between the prop and lower unit around the shaft.

"The weeds may be just a coinc

"The weeds may be just a coincidence. But you should remove the prop as mentioned to remove anything left. It the motor will run with the choke pulled out some, it means the carb needs fuel. Unless there is some restriction in the fuel lines etc, it generally means you probably need to remove you carb, disassemble and clean out the passages."

I agree with mike the carbs co

I agree with mike the carbs could have been dirty prior to the weeds and if their is resistance their now it could be just enough -to much-

Back