Logo

1986 115 HP Mariner in-line six

uspscp

We have a throttle problem, it starts and idles fine, but when I advance the throttle lever and it goes into forward gear, the RPMS don't increase until I push it all the way down and it goes into full throttle, with no gradual rpm increase in between, so when I pull the lever back to slow down it has no in between rpms it goes to idle again. This puts us in a bad situation of swamping the boat with a back wash, so I need to know if there is a diagram on how to adjust the carburetor linkage to the throttle, so it has a gradual increase in power, instead of just idle and full. The motor is a Mariner 115 HP outboard Serial number: A180787, 1986, can be reached at this e-mail " [email protected], [email protected] " if anyone has any information.

Last edited:
If the throttle goes into forward and reverse, idles and goes to full throttle, why do you think replacing it will make it go into any in between rpm ??

Remove both cables at the motor --------operate control box and observe cables-----------------If cables move properly then problems are at the motor end.---------------If cables do not move properly look inside the control box for problems !!

If the throttle goes into forward and reverse, idles and goes to full throttle, why do you think replacing it will make it go into any in between rpm

The throttle cable can both stretch a bit and corrode. It gets "sticky" spots where there is more resistnace for the cable to push through, by the time you apply enough pressure to push past, it goes all the way past, or at least thats the best I can explain it. I just helped a friend replaced the throttle line on an 83 40HP, same problem, and with the new line it runs great, throttle where you want it every time.

Back to my original question dose anyone have a diagram that shows how and what position the top cam adjustment is, that controls the gas flow into the carbs, the throttle cables work fine and from what I can see the linkage on the three carbs might be where the problem is.

( First off I just Purchased this boat and motor, and was told that the carburetor's were just rebuilt ! ), so after checking the cables and seeing that they operate alright, I started looking at the carburetor's and linkage, so I looked at a parts break down of the linkage and carburetor's, and I think the cam was put on backwards, that's why I need to see a diagram that shows the adjustments and position of all components for tuning up the carburetor's.

try looking up the carb diagram for your motor on the top of this page. Or better yet, if you can get your hands on a repair manual that would give the clearest explanation to you. It will go over a complete carb setup step by step.

#18 is the part I'm talking about, if the picture shows how it's supposed to look, then mine is on backward or flipped over, from what I see the roller lever on the carbs should be riding on the curved portion of the cam (#18), not the flat side, that would explain why it will idle but as soon as I give it throttle the roller lever goes straight down the flat side into full throttle.

Back